Biking Icons – A Personal Take

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Biking Icons – A Personal Take

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Radar

This post is now in our blog section and can be found here

Digger
    Participant

Brilliant choice Radar,I too grow up in the early eighties bike revolution,the Gpz11 was the dogs dangly bits,also when I was about 13 I was gobsmacked at the beauty of the Yamaha RD 250E coffin tank,what a gem.

Take it easy out there

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by Digger

Brilliant choice Radar,I too grow up in the early eighties bike revolution,the Gpz11 was the dogs dangly bits,also when I was about 13 I was gobsmacked at the beauty of the Yamaha RD 250E coffin tank,what a gem.

Take it easy out there

I had a coffin tank 1980 RD250E in 1987. Mint and only 5,000 miles on it. Wish I had never sold it.

bikepics-432631-800.jpg

Look in the Forest if you want to find trees

Digger
    Participant

Nice one Radar,the 400 was even more awsome.

Take it easy out there

Radar

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/yamaha-rd250e/

A more detailed review of the RD

Digger
    Participant

Is that the 400,coz it did`nt half move.The way things change.

Take it easy out there

Radar

A mate had a tuned RD400E in silver and black. Went like F@ck for the time. Mine was just a humble RD250E

prezzo
    Participant

R7 best handling bike ever

Paul

Talk is cheap

Dont forget to Donate !!!

GSXR1000
    Participant

Sounds corny, but I owned almost all those bikes at some stage.
    The 999R was the purest sportsbike I ever owned, with the most incredible sound as the huge vee motor went past 10,000 rpm, an unheard of engine speed for a big twin until recent times.

So many favourites really, the Honda CBX, the Kawasaki Z1300, RD500LC (pretty much the first one sold here), Ducati 916, Honda VFR1000R (gear-driven cams model), so so many great bikes.

Radar

Lucky man, I am especially envious of the RD500!!

GSXR1000
    Participant

A guy called Stan Stephens tuned the RD500LC for me. He said it was a good engine but not particularly easy to improve without lots of work. He got it from the standard 95 bhp to around 115 bhp, which at the time was a lot, especially as the bike was much lighter than other machinery with the same power, like a Honda CB1100, Kawasaki 1100 or whatever.
    I had 170 mph out of mine on the clock, probably a true 160 mph.
    It certainly looked radical for the time and everyone wanted to see it and talk about it!

Confession though. When I tracked it for the only time, it was blitzed through the turns by a guy on a bike I later owned, a Suzuki RG500. The Suzuki was lighter and nimbler and the rider was an ex-professional!

Radar

Bump

Radar

bump

HippoDrones
    Participant

oh and forgot this one:

Yamaha%20R7%20%205.jpg

The Yamaha R7, needed about £5k spending on the road bike to make it good on top of a stupid expensive RRP (they made it so it could be sold in all markets and Germany ment we were restricted to under 100bhp, the race zorst alone cost around £3.5k!)

One of my mates has one owned from new in his garage the lucky bugger. It only comes out on very very special days tho!

Radar

Some great coices there Pete, the Norton, Senna and R7 are all beautiful looking bikes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.