Biker clocked at 122mph with son

Home Forums Pure Petrolhead Speed cameras Biker clocked at 122mph with son

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Radar

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7865674.stm

A Devon motorcyclist has been told he could face jail after he was caught speeding at 122mph (196kph) – with his 14-year-old son riding pillion.

Robert Bennett opened the throttle on his 1300cc Suzuki because it started to rain, Exeter Crown Court was told.

The cleaning supervisor was on the A361 North Devon Link road near South Molton when he was caught by a police camera.

Bennett, from Barnstaple, admitted dangerous driving and was bailed until March for sentencing.

He was also banned from driving until he is sentenced next month.

Christopher Bennett, prosecuting, said a police officer was sitting in a van when he heard a motorbike accelerating hard and he activated the camera.

Dual carriageway

Bennett was snapped doing 122mph and the camera also picked up his son holding on with his bare hands to the back of his seat.

David Sapiecha, defending, said Bennett had ridden the bike at that speed for about a quarter to half a mile on the 60mph dual carriageway.

I hold my hands up – I was doing 122mph on that road and that was dangerous, especially with my lad on board
    Robert Bennett, motorcyclist

He said: “He accepts his 14-year-old son was on board at the time. He now accepts that that was dangerous.

“There were no injuries, there was no accident.”

Judge Phillip Wassall adjourned the case for a reports, but told Bennett that custody was one of the options open to the court.

The judge said: “You have pleaded guilty to a serious offence.”

Outside the court, Bennett said: “I have been riding bikes since I was a lad.

“My Suzuki GSX-R is a 1300cc machine. It is the fastest bike around and it has a top speed of 220mph.

“But I hold my hands up. I was doing 122mph on that road and that was dangerous, especially with my lad on board.

“But it had started to rain and I pulled back the throttle.”

TT07
    Participant

I have watched the video clip and do realise what point is put over in the BBC report, its about acting responsibly, but, I bet, if a pair of 14 year olds STOLE a bike and got clocked at 122mph the rider wouldn’t be facing a jail sentence. I reckon as good as all of us using this site can give instances were we either know of, or have heard of, riders getting caught at greater speeds than 122 mph where a custodial sentence was not mentioned.

Radar

When you watch some of these ‘Police, Camera, Action’ type shows the sentences dished out to joyriders often seem laughably light

TT07
    Participant

Prison sentence for 122mph biker

A motorcyclist caught speeding at 122mph (196km/h) with his 14-year-old son riding pillion has been sentenced to six months in prison.

_45437144_biker_1.jpg

Robert Bennett, from Barnstaple in Devon, had pleaded guilty to dangerous driving at an earlier hearing.

Exeter Crown Court heard his son had not been wearing protective trousers or gloves at the time.

Sentencing Bennett, the judge said that if he had lost control of the bike it would have become a “missile”.

HippoDrones
    Participant

Am not judging him on the speed, I’d be a total hypocrite to do so but to take his son on the back even within the speedlimit is totally irrisponsible without full kit!

I’d hand my gear over to a pillion so that the were kitted properly rather than feel the guilt in the event of an accident of knowing I let them on the back without as much protection as practicable. With adult passengers I offer kit as I have plenty then its upto them to wear it if they want to but a kid… Wouldn’t let one on my bike without it!

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by Pete247

Am not judging him on the speed, I’d be a total hypocrite to do so but to take his son on the back even within the speedlimit is totally irrisponsible without full kit!

I’d hand my gear over to a pillion so that the were kitted properly rather than feel the guilt in the event of an accident of knowing I let them on the back without as much protection as practicable. With adult passengers I offer kit as I have plenty then its upto them to wear it if they want to but a kid… Wouldn’t let one on my bike without it!

See what you are saying Pete. 6 months still seems harsh to me

HippoDrones
    Participant

You are right, especially seeing as he didn’t actually have an accident or cause one. I wasn’t commenting on his punishment, just his lack of consideration for his pillion :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.