Yamaha R1. 2011 The Big Bang Theory!

Home Forums Jap stuff Yamaha R1. 2011 The Big Bang Theory!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Radar

The Big Bang Theory…

Is it Christmas soon? Dear Santa…

Quite why I have never got around to owning an example of this towering icon of the modern sports bike I am not sure. Now after a brief stint on the latest example of the breed with the ‘cross-plane crank’ engine I am even more confused! That V-twin like bark from the engine is just spine tingling even on standard pipes. Combine that with stunning looks, crushing performance and that certain X factor and you have a compelling package. The £14,000 list price does piss on the bonfire somewhat tough!

Like a Thunderstorm Brewing in the Distance

The bike was just a joy to ride. Even at the frustratingly restrictive pace imposed by the outriders that accompanied me on the 20 mile demo ride from my local dealer. The R1 felt like a caged animal as we wandered around some lovely Worcestershire lanes. I loved everything about this bike, even the somewhat extreme riding position. the engine sounded mean and moody, like a thunderstorm gathering strength in the distance. The suspension felt taut, poised and communicative, the controls and instruments logical and business like. All focused on speed.

Utterly superb. I REALLY should buy one at some point in my life!Fast forward to 2021…Some ten years on and I still have not bought one! Am I completely mad? Answers on a postcard please…

I tried another R1 a few years before back in 2007 too:

Yamaha YZF R1 2006 – Thunder in the Mountains! Review and Pictures

HippoDrones
    Participant

ooo suits you sir!

Radar

I know, I am desperately avoiding finance forms at the moment!

HippoDrones
    Participant

Hahaha

Digger
    Participant

Every day is an experience.`A` mode(fast)is unbelievable,I still laugh my arse off when hooning through the twisties.Glad you enjoyed the demo.

Radar

It was brilliant, I will of had the Fazer three years come August…

Radar

Happy with the Duke that I bought to replace the Fazer, but I still like the look of an R1 and the 2015 model is stunning….

Radar

Should I replace my MV with one? Pondering…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.