Yamaha FZ600. My latest addition

Home Forums Members’ bikes Yamaha FZ600. My latest addition

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Radar

After selling my beloved CB250RS to Born2Bmild I discovered a bike shaped hole in my garage next to the XJR and YZF. So it was on to jolly old ebay to look for a replacement. I started off looking at Guzzis, I was really taken with a 850 in full Italian Police spec. However that soon expanded past my meagre budget. Before long I found myself looking a Yamahas again! I missed a FZR250 and a FZR400, but in the end turned up this:

[caption id="attachment_72952" align="aligncenter" width="529"] 1986 Yamaha FZ600[/caption]

A deal was struck after the auction finished and I am now the owner of this rather nice little machine. Only problem was that the Yamaha was just outside Durham, over 200 miles from where I live, and it is December!

Undaunted I headed to the frozen northern wastelands with the aid of my old friend Andy and his warm, comfy (and free!) company Jaguar X Type. 218 miles later I was looking at the FZ and all was as described, the deal was done and I set of on the long jaunt down the A1, M1, A1(M), M18, M1 and A38 back to Thumper’s. Not the most inspiring of rides, but I just wanted to get back home. The FZ lapped up the miles in surprising comfort and I broke the journey by getting lost in Pontefract looking for fuel and then stopping for an Olympic breakfast at a Little Chef as has become the custom when collecting bikes from the middle of nowhere.

[caption id="attachment_72954" align="aligncenter" width="653"] Fuel stop somewhere on planet earth[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_72955" align="aligncenter" width="617"] Time for an Olympic!![/caption]

The weather was being kind and I was keeping things to a steady pace, after all the FZ is twenty years old and 200+ miles on a bike you don’t know is asking a lot!

After a brief halt at Andy’s for a bit to thaw out I rolled up a home and tucked the FZ into the Garage. I am pleased to report that the FZ looks rather good next to the XJR and YZF. 218 miles and no problems apart from a few stiff joints on my part.

You can never have enough Yamahas!

Gix
    Participant

another yamaha? Your quite obsessed with yamahas arent you? [:o)]

sid
    Participant

nice looking bike mate whats the mileage?

katana
    Participant

Looks good mate – when should I come round with the grinder and get rid of the fairing?

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by sid

nice looking bike mate whats the mileage?

It is quite hign (55,000), but seems to run quite well

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by katana

Looks good mate – when should I come round with the grinder and get rid of the fairing?

Just cos you broke yours!

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by Gix

another yamaha? Your quite obsessed with yamahas arent you? [:o)]

Whay gives you that impression??[:D]

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Quote:
    “…..over 200 miles from where I live, and it is December!”

RESPECT!!

Looks a good bike mate, look forward to seeing it.

GSF K1
    Participant

That looks really tidy… well done

katana
    Participant

Here you go Radar – thought this might appeal to your anorak side?

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_fz600%2087.htm

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by GSF K1

That looks really tidy… well done

Cheers. Lets hope it serves well in the longer term!

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by katana

Here you go Radar – thought this might appeal to your anorak side?

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_fz600%2087.htm

Good information, cheers bud!

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by imperialdata

Quote:
    “…..over 200 miles from where I live, and it is December!”

RESPECT!!

It was rather chilly, but not as bad as you might expect for December. Good old global warming!

Scouser
    Participant

But could you find your little acorn when you went for a whizz b4 your olympic breakfast?

You and your Yamaha..ha’s…ha’s, anything to save buying a new coat without the Yamaha logo on it!

Nice one Radar. You certainly can spot a bargain.

Thumper
    Participant

Thanks for the breakfast bud! Gix would have enjoyed it!

The little FZ sounds really sweet…..I was expecting a real rattler at 55K, but its smooth, and has a tasty pipe too.

I hope its not a monster muncher!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.