Wheel ratios

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted Wheel ratios

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Can anyone explain what effect changing the size of a bike’s wheels has on the speedo reading? Is there a formula for this?

katana
    Participant

The easiest way is to work out the % difference between the 2 wheel sizes and then apply this to the speedo reading (as the % change in dia = % change in circumference, assuming the tyre side wall dimension remains the same).

So, for example, if you were to change from a 16″ to a 17″ wheel that is a 6% (5.88% if you want to be super accurate)increase. Therefore, your speedo would then read 6% slow. So at an indicated 100mph you would be traveling at 106mph.

I’m not sure how you would recalibrate the speedo in practice though?

The best way would be when changing wheel sizes also change the speedo drive or buy one of those electronic bike type speedos that can be reprogrammed.

hope this helps

Katana

yingting
    Participant

Good explanation. It may be obvious but it’s worth stating that this only applies to the front wheel!

Are pushbike speedos legal in the UK?

katana
    Participant
    wheelie
    Participant

Thanks guys, always wondered about that myself. Done a lot of wheel changing Katana?

katana
    Participant

A fair bit.

I’m currently looking for a reasonably priced front end to transplant onto my bike (Suzuki GSX 750SE Katana) if anyone has got one?

Kat

logospin.gif

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.