Vietnam – Moped Madness

Home Forums Biking abroad Vietnam – Moped Madness

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    katana
    Participant

As some of you know my latest couple of trips for work have taken me the Ho Chi Minh City ,formally Saigon, in Vietnam.

The place is a Honda executives dream with over 6 million scooters registered as of Jan 2014 (the last time they counted) in the city. I was told that another 500 per day have been registered since and there are at least as many unregistered scooters as registered ones.

With no need to take a driving test, as small payment to a government official is all that is needed to “pass” your test and seemingly no rules of the road (or pavement) applying to scooters the drive to work is like some sort of video game. Here are a few of my photos from the trips.

IMG_0407_zpsjuols43b.jpg
    IMG_0387_zpsxqcmb2ln.jpg
    IMG_0499_zps8wkedfkh.jpg
    IMG_0365_zpsqd8svjzu.jpg
    IMG_0354_zpsx8dpjq9u.jpg

Why bother hiring a van to get your new Fridge Freezer home?
    IMG_0478_zps4cx9jndt.jpg
    IMG_0481_zpsfqqjtvqv.jpg

BOC delivery service or a nitrous bottle?
    IMG_0361_zpswaao9wgq.jpg

I didn’t get my phone out in time but one night a bloke passed us on a Honda Cub 50 carrying a 5ft crocodile!

It definitely isn’t a Gold Wing and it’s too small to be a Silver Wing so it must be a Bronze Wing?
    IMG_0505_zps90xihdr0.jpg
    IMG_0507_zpsvu8xf54b.jpg

If you really have something heavy that needs hauling then this is what you need – an articulated moped!
    IMG_0502_zpsqfucents.jpg

My favourite bike of the whole trip
    IMG_0448_zpsp05p6tkr.jpg

I gave the local “light salad” van a wide berth
    IMG_0511_zpsq8ioexn3.jpg

Took this photo so Radar could tell us what it was?
    IMG_0503_zpsnkg2xskr.jpg

Radar

Moped Mayhem and no mistake, brilliant stuff!

This one I saw in Malaga, Spain in 2008:

P3252041-1.jpg

Radar

I am pretty sure the mystery bike is a Minsk, an old soviet two stroke thing. I don’t think they were sold in the UK

elessimo
    Participant

I am pretty sure the mystery bike is a Minsk, an old soviet two stroke thing. I don’t think they were sold in the UK

Yup, it’s a Minsk: looks like the 125cc. Vietnam are the major export market for these…

Radar

Well mystery solved…didn’t take too long. We are a sad bunch ;D

Noticed that helmet wearing seems pretty much universal which is at least one nod to safety. The pictures really convey the spirit of the place well

katana
    Participant

I thought that you would come up with the answer.

The helmets are pretty much worn by everyone but lets just say they are not up to the ACU gold standard.

Radar

The clue is on the side panel, Минск, is Minsk in the local tongue!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Completely missed this post, great pics. Think you were right to miss the ‘light salad’, what the hell is that stuff?

Radar

This is a brilliant thread. Kat has since been off roading over in Vietnam…on a Vespa…hopefully he will post some words/pics on that!

katana
    Participant

Here some more photos from my latest Trip.
    (I did go off-roading on a Vespa Px150 whilst I was there – I’ll put it up as another topic when I get some time.)

Cool Bike – note the 4 shocks for extra load capacity
    IMG_0533_zps6tbeyygr.png
    IMG_0534_zpshgmmcg3u.png

Not sure what to say about this one!!!!
    FullSizeRender_zpsufmtmacu.jpg

Another cool bike
    image_zpsljgggvvi.jpeg

Reckon he could have got a punnet of strawberries on there as well if he tried
    image_zpsslxplzpa.jpeg

moped ute
    image_zpsai0nppkt.jpeg

Dynorod Vietnamese style
    image_zpsn1ov8vsf.jpeg

katana
    Participant

Completely missed this post, great pics. Think you were right to miss the ‘light salad’, what the hell is that stuff?

Some kind of fishy crap. Freshly mangled – you can see the mangling device in the bottom of the photo. Before you ask it smells worse then it looked.

Radar

The one with the big pane of glass…. :o

elessimo
    Participant

Looks like perspex to me, but still mad; unless it’s a lorry windscreen of course. The pressure must have been intense over about 10mph, whatever the material…..  ???  8)

katana
    Participant

Looks like perspex to me, but still mad: the pressure must have been intense over about 10mph…..  ???  8)

No definitely glass – a Lorry windscreen

Radar

Looks like perspex to me, but still mad: the pressure must have been intense over about 10mph…..  ???  8)

No definitely glass – a Lorry windscreen

Gulp…but at least it will be ‘safety-glass’ – toughened or laminated…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.