Triumph Street Triple 675 (2007). Review and Pics

Home Forums British beef Triumph Street Triple 675 (2007). Review and Pics

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Radar

Time for a Change?

My trusty Yamaha Thundercat has been in my ownership for over seven years now. Recently my thoughts have turned to what I can replace it with. I even ran a XJR1300 for eighteen months, but kept the T cat too. Eventually I sold the XJR and kept the 600. Recent rides on a Yamaha R1 and Kawasaki ZX9R have both left me highly impressed with their sheer grunt and breathtaking speed. However the bike that has really caught my eye of late is the new Triumph 675 Street Triple. Here is a bike that combines the aggressive “Factory Fighter” stance of its’ Speed Triple big brother with the delicious triple engine and frame of the highly regarded 675 sports bike. The price of £5400 (in 2007!) sounded very competitive too, especially for a bike that has been basking in the warmth of some glowing reviews in the biking press. So I made a few phone calls and located a demonstrator at nearby dealership.

Street Triple, looking good. Shame the Flyscreen, Bellypan and seat Cowl are all extras

Positive First Impressions

My initial impression of the white demonstrator was favourable, but the black colour option much better suits the style of the machine. The nose fly-screen, belly-pan and seat cowl, all of which were fitted to the demo bike, are expensive extras. This served to push the price up very close to the £6k mark. Now much less of a bargain. Seat height is quite low, especially for a modern bike. A most welcome attribute for a stumpy like me! On thumbing the start button I was greeted by a rasping three cylinder growl, guttural in quality ~ superb.

Hitting the Open Road

Once away from the confines of the Redditch industrial estates and on the A425 towards Warwick the Street Triple really began to show me what it was capable of, and what it wasn’t. First up, performance: Basically the three cylinders 107bhp delivered in spades with the standard exhaust sounding surprisingly fruity as I swept aside any traffic I encountered with consummate ease. The upright riding position inherent to this type of bike meant speeds always stayed on the sane side and almost legal in places. However the brakes were not brilliant and I got the feeling that as you got more familiar with 675 and began to push harder, the brakes would be found wanting.

Simple but effective clocks

Those rasping high level pipes

The A425 has some sweeping open curves and the Street Triple handled really well on the smooth sections. On the couple of islands I encountered the bike could be lent way over with confidence. However put some bumps and ripples into the equation and the Triumph’s suspension seemed excessively stiff. The bike bounced about and could be diverted off line. I found this is a bit unsettling at the speeds the Triumph is capable of.

So, would I buy one?

After 26 enjoyable miles I took the bike back. Will I buy one? No. I liked the Street Triple but I didn’t love it. So it’s back to hunting for a nice R1 on ebay for me.

Update:

Fast forward 14 years and I still have the same Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat, and I never did buy an R1! However I did buy a few other bits and bobs. All of these have been seen off by the trusty 600!

The big brother, ridden in 2011:

Triumph Speed Triple (2011) A Bulldog of Bike – Review

HippoDrones
    Participant

Good read mate, have added some comments on The Bikers Cafe ;)

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by Pete247

Good read mate, have added some comments on The Bikers Cafe ;)

Cheers, 247, I saw them. Could you copy and paste them here too?

I am now pondering about trying another Triumph, the Thruxton as there was a tasty red one in the showroom at Action when I went for my ride. i know they are slow, but they look fabulous

TT07
    Participant

My riding buddy of the last three years went for a test ride on the same bike at the same dealers, and although didn’t place an order there and then is now frantically saving up to get one next year. He also had to put in the fuel he used, he was though gone for two hours, well I BELIEVE HIM when he claimed he couldn’t find his way back! There are some STONKING reviews for this machine

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by TT07

My riding buddy of the last three years went for a test ride on the same bike at the same dealers, and although didn’t place an order there and then is now frantically saving up to get one next year. He also had to put in the fuel he used, he was though gone for two hours, well I BELIEVE HIM when he claimed he couldn’t find his way back! There are some STONKING reviews for this machine

I liked it, but I didn’t like the suspension and it felt like the brakes could be marginal.

Get your mate to join and post his views, they would make interesting reading

TT07
    Participant

Yes Radar have already printed this Post out to give him a copy and he wanted to know the Forums Web Address, so he may soon become a new member (He rides an import 1991 VFR400 and an 04 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster)

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by TT07

Yes Radar have already printed this Post out to give him a copy and he wanted to know the Forums Web Address, so he may soon become a new member (He rides an import 1991 VFR400 and an 04 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster)

Did I meet him at Lacon Childe Borders Classic show in 2006?

Look forward to him joing, an interesting set of bikes

TT07
    Participant

Yes Radar thats the chap, will try to get him to join and assist him to start giving posts

Thumper
    Participant

Thanks for the “real world” road test bud.

I do love all of the ingredients in this machine, but your comments on the harsh suspension and feeble brakes are worrying.

Might just have to try one Radar.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Good read Radar. Shame it didn’t tickle your fancy

Radar

BIKE magazine (Dec 2007) have just road tested one and raved about it. Compared it to a FZ6, a Hornet, a Z750 and A GSR600. Came out on top. They raved about the engine, which I agree with 100%, but also heaped praise on the suspension and brakes which perplexes me slightly. Anyway hope it sells, good for UK manufacturing!

Radar

Triumph can’t make enough of these, sold old until June 2008 at least apparently

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Imagine how many they’d have sold if they had sorted the brakes out!

Radar

A job for the 2009 model year perhaps?

Radar

Interesting to note that Triumph are launching an R model for 2009 that has uprated brakes and suspension, the two things that niggled me on my test run. Could be time for another go…

2009_Triumph_Street_Triple_R.jpg

Source
    https://hellforleathermagazine.com/2008/07/2009-triumph-street-triple-r-g.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.