Triumph Rocket 111

Home Forums British beef Triumph Rocket 111

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Fort
    Participant

Just got a Triumph Rocket 111, 2.3 litre.

AWESOME and I love it.

30bhp extra on the way, very soon.

[:D]

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Hi Fort and welcome. The Rocket sounds like a really great bike. Just what Triumph need at the moment to boost their image and sales abroad. Sounds like a very torquey engine. Think I remember reading the brakes are from a Daytona 955i so it should stop pretty well too.

How does it handle and how are you going to get those extra horses?

wheelie
    Participant

NIIIICE! For those of you who haven’t seen the bike yet:

rocket3engine.jpg

rocket32.jpg

rocket3.jpg

Now is that an engine or what? Tell us more, Fort!

I’ve donated to the forum, have you?

Fort
    Participant

Basically looking at replacing the entire exhaust which is very restrictive, getting rid of the cats. at the same time.
    Plus getting it to breath better with a more efficient air filter.

Fort
    Participant

With under 52 bhp-per-litre at wheel, my only complaint is that the max. power is shy of what I was hoping for.
    The torque, fromtickover right the way to max. helps make up for this, but the specific output (bhp per litre) is on a par with a 1930s single!

Still, the handling is better than it has any right to be and the engine is just so much more spunky than any production v-twin. Riding my friend’s Fat Boy after the Triumph made the Hrley feel boring.

wheelie
    Participant

Is it the type of bike which would benefit from more power? I’d be frightened to mess about too much if the torque curve is so sweet. Know what you mean though, and I probably would have a go if it was my bike. Do you think Triumph would give you any tips, I heard they were quite good in that area?

I’ve donated to the forum, have you?

Fort
    Participant

An American company is already doing performance upgrades for the Triumph.
    A complete exhaust change, from the engine back, (doing away with the cats.), plus intake mods. to the airbox and the fitting of a free-flow air filter, apparently gives 27 bhp more, after fuelling modifications to suit.
    That is a worthwhile gain, even better when you consider that the slight flat spot, there for noise testing, is also removed at the same time.
    Yes, it needs a touch more power to make it the ultimate Power Cruiser. With 27 more gee gees it will be exactly that!

I am upgrading the brakes, as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Fort. I’ve read about the Rocket III and it looks like a very good bike. Not available in France for another few months my friend is telling me. I too read that the brakes are very good, do you not think this?

Fort
    Participant

The brakes are very good, but not quite good enough for the weight of the bike. Less so, as I am increasing the power output.
    I have decided to change the brake lines for some top quality stainless ones and also the brake pads, for something a little softer. They won’t last as long, but the braking will improve.

The torque is limited, in the first three gears on this machine; by 7% in the first two gears and by a fraction in the third ratio. I will look at having this restriction removed in due course.

scardiuk
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Fort

With under 52 bhp-per-litre at wheel, my only complaint is that the max. power is shy of what I was hoping for.
    The torque, fromtickover right the way to max. helps make up for this, but the specific output (bhp per litre) is on a par with a 1930s single!

Still, the handling is better than it has any right to be and the engine is just so much more spunky than any production v-twin. Riding my friend’s Fat Boy after the Triumph made the Hrley feel boring.

mscard

scardiuk
    Participant

can any one tell me how to get my rocket sounding more like a bike ive put the american pipes on but was told that if i took the cat off it sounds more like a car with a busted exhaust any ideas would be appreciated

mscard

barmy_carmy
    Participant

Hi Scars, glad you took my advice and had a look at this Forum, nice friendly bunch here, with a few of us utter nutters, Heh Heh! And Hi Fort It is an amazing looking bike, I know cause went out with Scars on Sunday for a good long blat, We’ve got FZX 750, and Scars will agree with me its a bit nippy innit Scars? By the way Fort I love Cherry Bakewells! Heh Heh!

I’m not riding fast, I’m just flying low. and please DONATE to this website

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.