Triumph Bonneville SE (2010). Simple Pleasures – Brief Riding Impressions

Home Forums British beef Triumph Bonneville SE (2010). Simple Pleasures – Brief Riding Impressions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Radar

I have always rather liked the idea of owning on these Hinckley twins, especially the Thruxton. However when my old friend Andy rocked up on his recently acquired 2010 SE spec Bonnie I wasn’t too fussy that it was not the exact model that I wanted.

The Bonnie SE is a very good looking bike. In fact, whilst it is a completely new and thoroughly modern model it captures the spirit and look of the last Meridan built originals almost perfectly. Especially the delicate cast wheels, which are very evocative of the 1970’s and reminded me of not just Triumphs but ‘coffin-tank’ Yamaha RD’s in particular.

To ride the Bonnie was an absolute joy. It has to be said that it is by no means fast, but easy going and laid back with just enough performance to have some fun too. The standard pipes are way too quiet, but Andy corrected that later with some suitably fruity Norman Hyde straight through silencers.

So overall the Bonnie is a good looking, charming and fun bike, if slightly undemanding. A real honey of a bike that I have enjoyed riding several times, however the Thruxton remains the Hinckley twin I lust over.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

I have to agree, it looks great but the Bonnie just doesn’t float my boat. I only did a few miles on it and, sad to say, I was happy to give it back to Thumper.

It was underpowered for a modern bike and it just doesn’t tick the boxes I need ticking for a motorcycle. It was also very low for me and quite uncomfortable. I think it was one of the shortest-kept bikes he’s ever had, so he missed the power too I guess. The Norman-Hydes sounded cool though!

Radar

I rather liked it and didn’t find the relative lack of go a real problem, we are all rather spoilt with our 150bhp bikes these days!

Radar

Tried one of the key competitors for the Tiumph..Moto Guzzi V7…interesting comparison… review to follow….it is a close run thing…

HippoDrones
    Participant

I look forward to your write up mate…. hopefully will be both showing the good and bad points as I am suffering the rose tinted spectacles at the mo :-)

Radar

I seem to be having problems with photobucket since they ‘improved’ it, I will post up as soon as I can stick pics with it!

Radar
    Radar

Interesting to note that the modern day Bonnie has now comfortably outsold it’s classic forefather. I noticed you can get a new one for £79 a month these days!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.