The 1,000bhp monster bike

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe The 1,000bhp monster bike

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Merlin
    Participant

This caught my eye

7725B5F6C0568C4E28D8E2DDCD882.jpg

By Henry Biggs
    January 22 2007
    What do you get when you bolt a supercharged 1,000bhp engine, hitherto found under the bonnet of a four-wheel-drive monster truck, into a home-made motorbike chassis?
    Most people would probably say “trouble” or possibly “a ride in an ambulance”. But for engineer Nick Argyle, it seemed the obvious thing to do when tinkering with some bits in his garage one day.
    Argyle had built his own monster truck some years previously before selling the chassis but keeping the whopping 8.2-litre Mopar V8 engine. Lacking the space to build another truck, he decided that the ideal home for the supercharged powerplant would be a two-wheeler. Called the Rapom V8, the result is the most powerful road legal motorbike in Britain, with between 1,000 and 1,200bhp depending on the boost from the Littlefield supercharger. That makes the Bugatti Veyron, the fastest car in the world with 987bhp, look rather tame. And if you thought your neighbour’s SUV was a gas-guzzler, the Rapom consumes a gallon of pure alcohol ever four miles.
    Driven: Bugatti Veyron
    Fortunately Argyle only uses it for the 10-mile trip to his local dragstrip in the Cotswolds and then only in the daytime as the bike lacks headlights. The frame, constructed from massive, 3cm thick steel tubing, is extra long to prevent the bike flipping over under hard acceleration and as it tips the scales at 1,000lb, a reverse gear is needed for manoeuvring. With such a surfeit of power, just two forward gears are needed in the API racing transmission. Stopping power provided by racing brakes gripped by six-piston callipers.

Taken from Msn bikes

Gix
    Participant

icon_freak.gif

HippoDrones
    Participant

OMG!!!! That is blinking scary :D

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Niiiiiiice!!

katana
    Participant

like it – bit tricky to fit the tank bag on though

Radar

Full article in BIKE magazine April 2007

GSF K1
    Participant

I dont think I could see over the top!

Digger
    Participant

Bonkers

Scouser
    Participant

Flippin eck! The Rapom is Mopar spelt backwards, and I think you would have to be backward to ride it!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.