Supermotos

Home Forums Supermoto and off-road Supermotos

• This topic has 19 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 20 years ago by NSX.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    NSX
    Participant

I have recently given up ‘superbikes’ for one of these and don’t regret it, so far.
    Last bike was a Ducati 999S, lovely machine, but this Husqvarna SM570RR never fails to amaze and is far better at what it does than my capability to find it’s limits !

I am SO impressed with the cornering, stopping and, considering it is only a single-cylinder, the power and performance.

Straights see it run out of puff over 110mph, but generally, that is enough to stay with anything, short of dual carriageways, motorways and the like.

Expensive to buy maybe, but cheap to mend, cheap to run and a whole lot of FUN !

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Is it a 570cc? Sounds a hoot!

NSX
    Participant

Yes, it is 576cc, single cylinder four-stroke, kickstart only and just 112kg dry weight, the same as most 125cc road bikes.

It has been fettled to produce a little more power, 62bhp at the rear wheel and though it is now slightly weak, straight off idle, (huge aftermarket carb. to blame there), it is very strong from 2000rpm onwards, with a real kick in th butt around 3200rpm.

It is geared to ‘max out’ at 115mph, to make the acceleration even more devastating, because I am not worried about top speed on a bike anymore.

NSX
    Participant

http://www.huskysport.co.uk

I think will be of interest !

cookeye
    Participant

A very nice bike and its on my wish list.
    SMR570_2.jpg
    hope this picture is the same as your bike.
    cookeye
    [;)]
    http://www.supermotard.co.uk
    all mad!
    check out the mesage at the top of page when you load this

https://groups.msn.com/cookeyespics go on have a look

NSX
    Participant

Yes, just like that one.

I have sticky tyres and uprated brakes, as well as more power now though, as opposed to standard.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

What upgrade did you do to the brakes NSX? Are the standard calipers not up to the task?

NSX
    Participant

I just had a braided line made up and bought some better pads for the standard caliper.
    A ‘wavy’ disc finished the job.

It stops like hitting the QE2 now!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

I’ll be honest, something like this could easily be my next bike. It’s pure fun. Why did you choose the Husky?

NSX
    Participant

I wanted the lightest, most powerful (4-stroke) single I could buy.

Light, cheap to run (if not to buy initially), simple mechanically, easy to repair and with outstanding handling and braking, that can upset a few superbike owners.
    (I ‘wasted’ a guy on a GSXR1000 on a twisty road last week, because we could only get to 70-80 each time before traffic or a corner intervened.)

Being light myself, the bike makes full use of it’s 112kg dry weight and 62 rear-wheel bhp. The low gearing makes it very rapid, 0 to about 90, which is where we spend most of our time on the road, if we are honest, nowadays.
    I had enough of 180mph bikes that I made no use of.

NSX
    Participant

The way I explain the performance to people is this.

The Husky now weighs the same as most 125cc bikes, but has the rear-wheel power of a 400cc Supersports, like a RVF400 Honda or GSXR400.

If a GSXR400 weighed the same as a CG125 it would fly…this does too.

wheelie
    Participant

Nice explanation and I have to agree, sounds great.

I never made the most of any superbike’s top end speed. I would say most supermotos and trailies can cut it with the big bikes on most of our roads now.

I’ve donated to the forum, have you?

Sidevalve
    Participant

I think stuff like RGVs and YPVS Yam’s offer a similar type of thrill to SM’s.

NSX
    Participant

The other thing, is that the top-quality suspension and brakes have such an easy time of it, with such little weight to deal with.
    Also, whereas my friend’s GSXR400 produces it’s 59 bhp at 12,400 rpm, this bike kicks out it’s 62 bhp at just 7,200 rpm, so the power is so much more immediate. Naturally, there are downsides to a Supermoto.

You have to endure higher levels of vibes, compared to a silky 400cc 4-pot from Japan, starting from hot can be difficult and they can vibrate a few bits off, from time to time, but, with regular checks and love, I believe that in 2004, there is no better type of bike in the world for a fun-loving biker to own!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

quote:

With regular checks and love

Message to all: When was the last time you hugged your Supermoto?

Seriously though, you’ve got me really interested in swapping my sportsbike for an SM. I fancy a bit of a change.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.