Sticky front brakes on VFR800 2000 model

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted Sticky front brakes on VFR800 2000 model

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BM
    Participant

help required! my front brake is sticky and not releasing fully, the bike is a 2000 model with 8500 miles due to not being used much due to work commitments . I have cleaned the pads and calipers and the pistons visible but the front wheel is still hard to turn.The brake lever still feels firm when applied.
    I have spoken with other bikers and have had a few different suggestions such as change the brake fluid or the delay/proportional valves, another suggestion was strip the calipers and renew the seals as they may be clogged up with gunge stopping the pistons returning.
    Any more idea’s Thx

Gix
    Participant

Hi BM welcome to TBF.
    You *may* have a piston in a bit skew, if a piston is skew it wont return and its a bugger to get back straight (yep you guessed it – been there done that lol).

imperialdata
    Keymaster

If it is able to be checked by jacking up the front and spinning the wheel then I’d remove the calipers one at a time first to see if it’s an individual caliper problem or a system pressure problem.

katana
    Participant

I agree with ID, if both calipers are binding then look for system fault.

Silly question but you haven’t dropped the bike lately have you? A mate of my dropped his and bent the brake lever pivot which gave the same symptons as you have (long shot I know).

This might come in handy.

BM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by Gix

Hi BM welcome to TBF.
    You *may* have a piston in a bit skew, if a piston is skew it wont return and its a bugger to get back straight (yep you guessed it – been there done that lol).

Thanks for the advice guys & NO i aint dropped it (yet)

BM
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by katana

I agree with ID, if both calipers are binding then look for system fault.

Silly question but you haven’t dropped the bike lately have you? A mate of my dropped his and bent the brake lever pivot which gave the same symptons as you have (long shot I know).

This might come in handy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.