Speed cameras under fire

Home Forums Pure Petrolhead Speed cameras Speed cameras under fire

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    XV16
    Participant

Paul and Idris are two very popular activists in the speed camera campaign and they talk a lot of sense, however the “anonymous” spokesman is quoting the typical statistics which we read on a daily basis. If it is true to say that “The views that these groups hold are so far removed from public opinion” why does the subject make Headlines on a daily basis.
    They always quote a percentage in accident reductions, but fail to state the percentage of the increase in traffic. This would throw their figures way out of proportion.

He also states that 10 people die each day with speeding being the biggest cause, but with no statistics to back up his claim.

Think of this one whilst on the subject of statistics…
    5% of all accidents are caused by “drunk” drivers; therefore 95% of accidents are caused by “sober” drivers. I am not in any way in favour of drink driving, but I think you get my drift.

Item from a Hampshire paper…
    A pressure group spokesman told a meeting in Winchester Guildhall that while 75% of road accidents were caused by carelessness, this was often the result of drivers worrying about speed cameras.

“It’s not true that exceeding the speed limit is in itself dangerous,” said Paul Smith, from Safespeed. The message, “Speed Kills”, was a matter of faith, not fact, he added.

Idris Francis, a retired electronics engineer from West Meon, who organised the meeting, said he believed more effective policing, better monitoring and prevention of dangerous and reckless driving – and not the use of speed camera – would lead to safer roads.

Neither the police nor Hampshire’s Safety Camera Partnership were represented at the meeting.

A spokesman for the latter said: “The views that these groups hold are so far removed from public opinion that constructive dialogue with them is a waste of time.”

“The truth of the matter is that when we take our tests, we are trained to check the speed all the time. If people are driving properly, they should be aware of speed cameras anyway.”

Referring to statistics showing that nearly 10 people died every day on Britain’s roads, he added: “Speeding is by far the biggest cause.”

He said the latest figures for Hampshire alone showed there had been a 22% reduction in injury accidents and a 28% reduction in serious or fatal injuries on camera routes from April, 2002, to March, 2003.

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Please note that some of the comments and articles posted may not represent my views or the views of FORUM99 and its moderators.

HELP KEEP THIS FORUM ALIVE! Click the Make a Donation button in the top left hand corner.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think you can mess about with statistics to prove any point but the basic problem is the siting of cameras, not their principle.

XV16
    Participant

Too true, I know of areas where serious accidents take place and they can’t even get a pedestrian crossing. The money would be better spent on general road safety, however once they have done this and the casualty rate drops there is no income.

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Please note that some of the comments and articles posted may not represent my views or the views of FORUM99 and its moderators.

HELP KEEP THIS FORUM ALIVE! Click the Make a Donation button in the top left hand corner.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is money to be made for the government if the casualty rate drops. Less staff are needed in the National Health Service! Cynical, moi?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.