South Staffordshire to Rochdale

Home Forums Great biking roads South Staffordshire to Rochdale

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gix
    Participant

Got onto the A38 at Alrewas and travelled north to Derby. At the big roundabout, I took a left and then left again at the next roundabout onto the A52 to Ashbourne. On the approach to Ashbourne there are a couple of roundabouts. Straight on at the first main roundabout (keep heading towards Ashbourne), right at the next roundabout and finally left at the next one onto the A515 heading out towards Buxton. This is a good road with a decent mix of twisties, fast curves and even a couple of flat out straights. A couple of small roundabouts at Buxton, right at the first then left onto the A6 heading north on towards Chapel-en-le-Frith. At the roundabout after Dove Holes, second exit sign posted to Glossop. Straight over the next 2 roundabouts then first right turn. Look for the sign posts for the A624 to Glossop (think it was second turn on the right). Follow the A624 all the way to the T-Junction and you can turn left, the way I went, to join the Motorway (M67 then M60 then M62 to Rochdale) but motorways are boring. Alternatively, turn right at the T-Junction and you are on the A628 Woodhead Pass which is a great road, or, there is a right hand turn off before you reach the T-Junction for the A57 Snake Pass.
    These roads are hazardous at this time of year. The mud on the roads, the rain, greasy (I got soaked, covered in a dirty film and very cold), and some of the surfaces left a lot to be desired, but definitely worth a ride out there when the summer arrives!
    Roll on the summer!

The roads are my race track!!

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE POWER TO DESTROY YOU, BUT TRUSTING THEM NOT TO DO IT.

GO ON! DONATE! YOU KNOW YA WANNA!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Usually do the A515 all the way from Lichfield but otherwise much the same route, it’s a great summer run to the snake pass. Mud, rain and grease must take the edge off it a bit though!

XV16
    Participant

Bit of a s**t really, but I have to take these roads most days. Beware of ice in the shaded areas that don’t get the winter sun (when it shines, that is).

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Please note that some of the comments and articles posted may not represent my views or the views of FORUM99 and its moderators.

“The normally careful and competent actions of a reasonable individual should be considered legal.”

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by imperialdata

Usually do the A515 all the way from Lichfield but otherwise much the same route, it’s a great summer run to the snake pass. Mud, rain and grease must take the edge off it a bit though!

Er…………yes it did! Rained all the way till I got to Glossop, then it started to dry up. By the time I got to Birch Services on the M62, the sun was shining (rare I know but there you go!). Just wish it coulda been shining all the way there but cant have everything!

The roads are my race track!!

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE POWER TO DESTROY YOU, BUT TRUSTING THEM NOT TO DO IT.

GO ON! DONATE! YOU KNOW YA WANNA!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.