Review and Pics Borders Classic Rideout 16/09/07

Home Forums Meetings and events Review and Pics Borders Classic Rideout 16/09/07

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Radar

Lacon Childe School in the picturesque rural village of Cleobury Mortimer was once again playing host to the Borders Classic Bike Show and having enjoyed this small but varied show in the past I was really looking forward to a cracking day out.

Joining me for ride over to the show were Thumper, Katana, my old mate Eddie and a non forum member Dave and his wife Sue. Thumper had selected his Ducati M600 Monster for the day, once again sporting its’ “Earthquake” pipes and when combined with the rasping four into one Katana has fitted to his lurid lime green Suzuki my neighbours were treated a suitably impressive symphony as we pulled off!

P9160700.jpg
    Thumper and Eddie

P9160701.jpg
    Dave and Sue astride the 1200 Bandit

En-route we were joined by two other friends of Dave, they rode a Honda F6C custom, a bike that somehow sounds like a WW2 Spitfire on a fly-past, and an absolutely immaculate Suzuki GT750 Kettle. Combined with Thumper’s Duke, Kat’s Street fighter, Eddie’s huge Africa Twin, Dave’s 1200 Bandit and my Thundercat we had quite a mix of machinery. We all tucked in behind the GT750 for the 10 miles to the show so we could enjoy the heady aroma of 2-stroke oil! To all you environmentalists – you don’t know what you’re missing!

P9160705.jpg
    Tony’s beautifully kept Suzuki GT750

P9160706.jpg
    Steve’s Honda F6C

P9160704.jpg
    Chewing the fat, Thumper and Eddie (Ducati and Africa Twin)

P9160738.jpg
    Eddie, Thumper and Katana

Once at the show itself the bike park provided an excellent display in itself; Norton F1, Ariel Square Four, RG500, BSA Goldstar to name a few amongst many.

P9160709.jpg
    Norton F1

P9160710.jpg
    Ariel Square Four

P9160716.jpg
    Perfect 18,000 mile RG500 Gamma

P9160724.jpg
    Not everything was immaculate!

P9160727.jpg
    BMW with suitably sporting accesories ~ a flask, and what appears to be a washing line?!

P9160717.jpg
    BSA Goldstar

P9160726.jpg
    This would suck your knees in! talk about breathing freely!

The Grinnall company was also showing its range of BMW and Triumph based trikes, and a BMW powered Scorpion 3 wheeled sportscar.

P9160711.jpg
    Grinnall BMW Trike

P9160714.jpg
    What a bizarre thing to have on a bike!

P9160712.jpg
    Grinnall Triumph Rocket Trike

Once we had stumped up our £4 entrance fee (included free programme and helmet park), we were greeted with two well stocked halls of wide variety of bikes spanning everything pre war Brit bikes all the way up to the iconic Honda RC30. Highlights included a beautiful Triumph café racer, a highly tuned BSA Bantam track bike and a near perfect FS1E

P9160733.jpg
    The main viewing hall, can you spot Thumper and Katana?

P9160737.jpg
    Well travelled (over 100,000 miles since 1992)Matchless that the couple in red have toured all over Europe on. She is 80!

P9160730.jpg
    Like last year the bikes details have been put on a sheet of A4 and taped to the headlight. Spoils the look of the bike, in this case a Triumph Cafe racer.

P9160728.jpg
    80mph racing Bantam

Having enjoyed a couple hours in the show we mounted up and headed for the café at Quatford just outside Bridgnorth, taking in the stunning sweeping views from Clee Hill en-route and taking Thumper’s favourite B road. Pace was gentle, like the sunshine playing on the tree lined rolling hills that surrounded us. It was too chilled a day to hurry to be honest. Loads of old Velcettes, Matchless and Triumphs etc were coming the other way, and that just added to the atmosphere even more.

The café provided its’ usual warm welcome and a mug of tea and Bacon butty rounded off a highly enjoyable day perfectly.

P9160740.jpg
    Cheers!

Thanks to all who came along and see you on the 30th!

Thumper
    Participant

I loved it, but my dad would have just been biker heaven amongst those machines at the show – it was fab just in the car park!…..must take him along next year.

I was a lovely atmosphere too. Nice one all

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by Thumper

I loved it, but my dad would have just been biker heaven amongst those machines at the show – it was fab just in the car park!…..must take him along next year.

I was a lovely atmosphere too. Nice one all

Your dad is a top man and he would love the show. I still rember him thrashing the nuts of our RD350YPVS’s around Chester with Keith

He could join us for the Donigton Show in Feb 08

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.