Restoration – Original, custom or subtle upgrades?

Home Forums Classics Restoration – Original, custom or subtle upgrades?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Radar

Recently I have been getting seriously nostalgic for bikes that I enjoyed or lusted after in my teens and early twenties, basically Jap and Italian bikes from about 1978 through to about 1988 or 1989.
    Question is, and I suppose this applies equally to older Brit restorations etc too, how do approach bikes of this era?
    Do you meticulously rebuild them to perfect factory spec down to the last warning sticker and grommet. On the other hand to you keep the feel and spirit and appearance of an original machine but upgrade things like brakes, suspension etc. Fianlly do you go nuts and start bolting on turbos, single sided swinging arms and paint them in lurid colours?
    Personally I favour the sensible upgrade approach, better brakes stuff like that but keeping standard colouurs and overall appearance.
    What do you lot think?

katana
    Participant

Just get the angle grinder out!

logospin.gif

GSX Rat
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by katana

Just get the angle grinder out!

logospin.gif

Hack it to pieces, matt black it and then turn up to one of the owners rallies and watch em cry, especially if you’ve mutilated really rare and hard to get hold of spares! [:D][:D][:D]

GSX750 Ratfighter / SR125 Rat / GSX600F / Beamish250 / Honda70 Rat

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

GSX Rat
    Participant

Have you bought one yet then radar or are you still stuck in the consideration stage?

Radar

I have my 1982 Honda CB250RS which is standard apart from the exhaust (and the dented tank!). I do enjoy riding it just as much as the T Cat, but in a different way. Nice bike to chill on after a stressed out day at work.
    So far the hunt for a bike has seen me look at a Honda VT500E (a mate bought it), that GSX550 ~ just didn’t want it enough, a Guzzi V65 Lario that was sold (really fancied that one though) and I have had an eye on a mate’s RD350YPVS for ages. I know you will take the mick, but I want a standard one and this has been hacked about a bit. Goes well though, really enjoyed a ride I had on it some months ago. Also missed a 1984 GPz750 by miutes (lucky escape?)
    So basically no I havn’t yet!

saw a nice R6 that I might sell the T Cat for…

GSX Rat
    Participant

I prefer the earlier lc model to the powervalve model myself. evening BTW, just started an arduous nightshift….

Radar

Had both a LC and a couple of YPVS models (and 1 aircooled).
    RD250LC – Great fun.
    RD350YPVS Mk1.- Best fun I have had on a bike.
    RD350YPVS f2 – Not the same somehow. Take a look in the section about our bikes – I wrote up about them a bit more there if you want. “My main bikes since 17” (I think).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.