RC 31 BROS

Home Forums Jap stuff RC 31 BROS

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    cookeye
    Participant

My wife julie, has just got her self a new toy,
    it is a 1988 650 honda bros now this is older than her duke but she saw it and decided to take a test ride,the guy at the shop tells us take it home for the day,keep it overnight,we want you to be sure you like it,i realy dont think he had any worys of ever seeing it again,probly one of the nicest strange looking bikes that a women could ride,julie is very short so seat hight is always a problem,she cannot ride a 600 bandit coz they are to tall so now you know how small,i tryd this bike and was realy shocked as to how fast it is single sided arm 4pot front brake alloy 3spoke rims etc, julie has allways riden ok but this jem has improved all those little bits corner speed parking getting it out of garage on her own,now its a case of shall we go out on the bikes mick insted of me asking her,
    Last night we did a 70 mile round trip to our local bike meet and she was real pleased that out of about 500 bikes hers was the only bros unlike the common old ducatis that we saw about 15 of ok must be off now have to wright a for sale post for the monster just wish i hadnot put all those new parts on the monster,still did not think we would be selling it for a few years [thats life]
    cookeye
    [;)]

rc31
    Participant

The Bros (Hawk-GT in USA) is a little known gem that can still cut it with the best in the twisties.
    It has quite an Internet following:
    https://www.hbon.org.uk/
    https://www.hawkgt.com/
    http://www.rc31.co.uk – my site [;)]

Still got the bike ??

kids in the back of cars cause accidents – accidents in the back of cars cause kids

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forum RC31. Hope you enjoy it here. Like you say, the RC31 has got quite a following out there. Drop us some more info in the members’ bikes section if you get chance.

Radar

Like you site RC31, you clearly love your bike. Am I being thick or did the NTV650 share quite a bit with the RC31? This was probably on your site, but I read quickly as I should be decorating right now!

rc31
    Participant

The RC31 does share some common parts with the NTV650, like the majority of the engine, although in a ‘slightly’ higher state of tune.
    In standard trim it only puts out about 50 horses but the grunt… just roll open the throttle from 2k RPM and it doesn’t hesitate.
    Other main features are,
    All alloy frame instead of steel.
    Chain drive instead of shaft.
    Alloy single sided swing arm (a la Ducati).
    Different character altogether and much more ‘sport bike like’.

It is reputed that Mr Honda took an old RC31 and dropped in an over-bored/tuned XRV750 engine to develop the VTR1000.
    An XRV750 bolts straight in and is an often used mod on the RC31.

Mine is pretty well sorted now with a CBR6 F2 complete front end (bolts straight in), modded ‘blade rear shock and VFR750 rear wheel (minor mod to Bros spindle).
    It really does handle well in the twisty stuff and will easily keep up with modern sport bikes (my mates ZX9 can’t get away from me) – until the straight line bit when it’s lack of horses shows!!
    The simplest way to gain some performance is to remove the boat anchor of an exhaust collector box/muffler and replace it with a ‘free flowing’ can and then put a 0.75mm thick washer under each carb needle, put the front carb main jet in the rear carb and a slightly larger one in the front carb, tune the carbs and there you go…

Cookeye has noted at how well it handles in stock trim, as it is only 180kg all up, low centre of gravity etc etc.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    kids in the back of cars cause accidents – accidents in the back of cars cause kids

Anonymous
    Inactive

Love the swing arm on those things, a work of art. Does it handle OK? Friend of mine has one and says it is great unless you get into a very tight bend and then it starts to bounce around a bit. Told him about your site by the way.

rc31
    Participant

Oh yes it handles real now, and allows for errors that lots of bikes these days wouldn’t let you get away with.
    Mr Honda sold it short with it’s original setup (parts from their spares bin probably). Modifying it really does improve it when you chuck it about in the bends, which is where this little gem excels.
    Never had a bad ride on it, just waiting for the sun!!!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

imperialdata
    Keymaster

quote:

Never had a bad ride on it, just waiting for the sun!!!

Oh, you’re in the UK then…..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.