Rat Sandracer

Home Forums Rat bikes Rat Sandracer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    GSX Rat
    Participant

Picked up 3 bikes the other day (thanks UT) that we are going to use for sandracing on Mablethorpe beach. Just a few pics of the stripdown so far but more to follow as work progresses.
    First, my bike as it arrived
    sand.jpg

Three of it stripped in the garage:
    sand1.jpg

sand2.jpg

sand3.jpg

Now that its stripped and i’ve got it running its going to need a paint job that will stand out on the beach. Im not forgetting matt black altogether and half the bike will be done in blackboard paint, but for the other half i wanted something that would stand out. Tangerine gloss fits the bill perfectly, and as you can see from the next pic – sorry its a bit bright, if you paint a tank and then throw sawdust on whilst it is still wet you get a great effect! Another coat and it’ll be perfect!
    sand4.jpg

Welded the exhaust holes up with a stick welder, tricky but possible! Turns out the coil was knacked on the dream, so in the absence of a 2cv coil (work great on wasted spark twins) it was on with a pair of moped coils, great sparks and fires up a treat!
    sand5.jpg

Only thing now is carb inlet rubbers are split and its running really lean, that hot in fact as you can see above it burnt all the matt black off the exhaust pipes! Just get that sorted and hopefully jobs a goodun!

Oh, and one of the bikes had a V5 with it – if it turns out to be this one im gonna put it on the road complete with knobblies – just for a laugh you understand [:D]

GSX750 Ratfighter / SR125 Rat / GSX600F / Beamish250 / Honda70 Rat

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

Urban Terrorist
    Participant
    GSX Rat
    Participant

LOL – well the green one never had that red bit of plastic round the rear of the seat when i got home! , someone somewhere is probably still picking it out of their windscreen!

GSX750 Ratfighter / SR125 Rat / GSX600F / Beamish250 / Honda70 Rat / Honda250 Rat Racer

Urban Terrorist
    Participant

LOL!!! Why am I not supprised?!!!!

More than 2-strokes is masturbation!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Excellent pics. Love the rat photos, they are better than any other type of photo. More real world. Nice tip on the coils, didn’t know you could swap them over like that, all those years I tried to match the coils on bikes and it doesn’t seem to matter. Never mind, it’s half the fun.

Let us know if the sawdust finish stays on, I may try that! Know a guy who artexed his bike once. Swirls too. Looked really funny with the odd fleur-de-lys pattern here and there.

GSX Rat
    Participant

As long as you use 12 v coils you should be fine. When you’re buying them from an autojumble or whatever the only thing youve really got to look for is the markings. Ones marked cdi are for use on cdi systems, and unmarked ones are for use on points systems (generally!) Also, if you only have a 6v coil, you can use it on 12v by putting a resistor of the same value as the coil in series with it.
    2cv coils are excellent for twins, as they tend to be a lot more reliable and produce a better spark than the standard item. They are also a lot cheaper when you fry one!

GSX750 Ratfighter / SR125 Rat / GSX600F / Beamish250 / Honda70 Rat / Honda250 Rat Racer

GSX Rat
    Participant

Small update – all 3 bikes are now running, just waiting for a couple of carb rubbers and some knobblies and we’ll be burning sand!!

The tiger striped bike isn’t mine, it was the white one!!!

Mines the tangerine dream below….

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Love the Special Brew empties behind the tiger tank. Is that how you achieve some of the special finishes? The other Dream looks just about ready for some desert combat.

GSX Rat
    Participant

Beer does have a great influence on a lot of our ideas, decisions and indeed life!

We have a rule though – if it’s thought of in a beer fuelled state, write it down and have another look in the cold light of day over a cup of tea and a bacon bun. If it seems reasonable, it’s probably not best to carry on and just to forget the idea. On the other hand, if it seems just plain stupid or even downright dangerous, for example sandracing superdreams or a unimotorcycle then lets get out the hammer and the grinder!

Incidentally, another beer fuelled idea came about last night, i will be posting a seperate thread shortly – and this one is both stupid and dangerous!

To sum up, a famous homer simpson quote: Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems.

999blues
    Participant

Amen to that. Done some great designs on the back of a beermat. Just need to follow them through. Seems like you do GSX Hooligan!

Red CBX1000 with loud pipes!

GSX Rat
    Participant

The sandracer is finished!

Will post some more pics soon, racing starts in a couple of weeks!

As soon as i can be ar$ed i will update my website and put some video footage up! – wahey loonys on superdreams, what more could you want!

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Aleister Crowley (1875 – 1947)

Urban Terrorist
    Participant

Don’t belive you!!

More than 2-strokes is masturbation!!

GSX Rat
    Participant

Dont believe me LOL, all 3 bikes are up and running mate, i will post some pics asap, one of them will be a week or so as the guy is away on holiday at the minute, but mine (green one) and the other one (white) are both up and running and will be out at the weekend for a test run. No cash spent on them cept for a set of knobblies, and a battery for each one (£13 each!)
    Actually, just remembered – i bought a set of brake shoes for mine at five quid and got a twistgrip for two quid for black an white one, but thats it!
    All 3 start and run a treat, just a beach run to do to test sand capability – maybe need a larger rear sprocket but not sure yet. Will post details of race dates and times at a later date too if you fancy popping up for a look, but will be taking camcorder with me so hopefully some footage to show!

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.

XV16
    Participant

Did you manage to race em mate?

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Please note that some of the comments and articles posted may not represent my views or the views of FORUM99 and its moderators.

“The normally careful and competent actions of a reasonable individual should be considered legal.”

GSX Rat
    Participant

we did give them a go but the superdream is not renowned for its performance on the road to start with. With knobblies this was worse than standard but we assumed that all the 250 road bikes would be the same. How wrong can you be – 2 stroke rd’s and tzr’s and single cylinder honda 4 strokes seem to be the way to go, so its off to newark autojumble with em – should get our cash back though as they’re all runners now, so it’ll be back on ebay for one of the above when they’re gone….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.