Prescott Bike Festival 2016 Review

Home Forums Meetings and events Prescott Bike Festival 2016 Review

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    elessimo
    Participant

After Saturday’s snow, Sunday was a scorcher. The Prescott parking field was a bit of a laugh – downhill was a bit squirmy so I levelled off about three-quarters of the way to the bottom. Tracking the contour was OK at first but then the back end slid away until I was facing uphill. Seemed a good place to stop so I dismounted and man-handled the TDM through 90 degrees: a marshall offered a piece of wood to place under the side-stand. Sorted.

First stop: the bar (no queue), grabbed a pint of Prescott ale and moseyed up the hill towards the commentary shed. Jed and Wendy turned up, but Don phoned in with bad news: Geeg had taken a tumble and the bike park was turning into the Somme; so he turned back.

Prescott%202016_zpsltdoffjr.jpg
    Prescott 2016

Prescott%20Hill%20Climb_zpsfquolr1y.jpg
    George%20Shuttleworth_zpsamo5ig9h.jpg
    George Shuttleworth

Monowheel%20in%20action_zpsusbgnt9q.jpg
    Monowheel in action

Monowheel_zpsgdgarvqf.jpg
    Anables%20Atom_zpsrldrvbwh.jpg
    Monowheel

Jet%20propelled%20shopping%20trolley%20in%20action_zpslh8pc1ud.jpg
    Rocket-powered shopping trolley

Rocket-powered%20shopping%20trolley_zpssoncyecx.jpg
    The%20rocket_zpssbscbktx.jpg
    Trolley-rocket%20instrument%20panel_zpsisvfzild.jpg
    Shopping%20trolley%20critical%20part_zpshupraxvg.jpg
    Rocket juice!

Then Ollie arrived and we went bike-watching (see next installment).

elessimo
    Participant

So we returned to the bar (still no queue – what timing!) and then went bike browsing….

Kwacker_zpsbciwf465.jpg
    Kwacker

Cotton_zpsgbta7xeh.jpg
    Cotton%20rear%20view_zps59cibnjx.jpg Lovely little Cotton

Triton_zpsnvildhts.jpg
    Another%20Triton_zpsmpuazkgz.jpg
    Tritons abound

Ducati%20cafe%20racer_zpsozrlcfyp.jpg
    Home%20built%20Ducati%20cafe%20racer_zpsgs0ppi9o.jpg
    Ducati cafe racer

Rudge_zpsobsxtpc3.jpg
    Rudge

Matchless_zpspqdnexoo.jpg
    Matchless – I want it!

Indian_zpssvwd0nvt.jpg
    Indian

Cossack_zps7tmxiwna.jpg
    Cossack!
    The%20Cossack%20Diet...._zpsadbbkyrc.jpg
    Cossack diet…

Laverda%20Montjuic_zpsghh7t2fg.jpg
    Laverda Montjuic

Triumph_zpsxumeeuip.jpg
    Triumph

5-cylinders%20better%20than%203_zpswps1noxa.jpg
    5 cylinders better than 3…

Allen%20Millyards%20little%20runaround_zpswnf8eynj.jpg
    Viper 8,000cc 10-cylinder

Matchless%20tank_zps6pmgt7zl.jpg
    P1090443_zps8uy17yip.jpg
    Morgan%20engine%20-%20Matchless_zpsagjlvtjq.jpg
    Matchless stuff

Clouds_zpstq9onthj.jpg
    Clouds

Spud_zpsbzuaii1v.jpg
    The%20Spud_zpshfodpum6.jpg
    Spud

Jed%20and%20Wendy%20at%20Prescott_zpszm7ii0ln.jpg
    Jed and Wendy after the mudbath

It only took a couple of minutes to get out of the Somme – it had mostly dried out. I did manage to ride straight into a big swamp but a couple of marshals guided me through when I got stuck and then it was 2500rpm in second, weaving up to the concrete.

Left the gang and took the Ledbury route back to the Forest: what a fantastic day!

Radar

Brilliant pictures and I am glad that somebodies day panned out well. Just means I have to make sure I get to it 2017!

My story….

Well some days go to plan and others just don’t….I set off for the show on the 550 in bright sunshine and reasonable temps. Pleasant ride down into Gloucestershire but the fuel gauge is low. So about 3 miles from the show I pull in to fill up the bike, save the hassle later. I have a missed called from Thumper’s Mrs. Oh I have a bad feeling about this…so I call back. Poor old Geeg has dropped his Thundercat on the way down in convoy with Thumper and Toggs. He is OK but the T’cat is battered and not rideable. So they won’t be joining us. Just so long as Geeg is OK, that is main thing. I knock off the last few miles to the show and pull into the bike park. The small piece of hard standing and the first field are both packed. The ground is really boggy but I gingerly make my way to the 2nd field. Now this is doing a passable impression of the Somme battlefield in WW1 and I wound up getting bogged down and needed two blokes help get the bike clear. There is no way I could safely ride across this and many people were just leaving. I extricated myself from the quagmire and tried to find a bit of decent ground along the lane to park in but they were already taken by folks having the same idea. Quite a few people just turned around and went home. I headed back out and found somewhere to pull over and phone the Big E. I was a bit hacked off by now and decided to head home too. By all accounts Big E met up with Jed and Olly Ok and there were some cracking bikes on show and running the hill.

Like I say 2017 is already in the diary

elessimo
    Participant

Next year will be good too, Radar…. :) 

As I said to Debs, if I’d bought that CCM I’d have been loving the Somme – the TDM is a bit of a whale on soft mud….

You and Thumper would have particularly liked the Carling-fuelled rocket-powered shopping trolley and the monowheels, which all ran the hill. My favourites were the little Cotton and the Matchless scrambler – there’s just something about those knobbly tyres on old iron that floats my boat.  8)

Radar

IMAG1884R_zpsdatjacmy.jpg
    The was after I had ridden a couple of miles in a bid to find somewhere to park on the roadside

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Somehow missed this great write-up Steve. I’m loving the Z1000, Cotton and Matchless.

Those bikes would all sit nicely in the garage (if it was big enough and if I had the money etc. etc.).

elessimo
    Participant

Somehow missed this great write-up Steve. I’m loving the Z1000, Cotton and Matchless.

Those bikes would all sit nicely in the garage (if it was big enough and if I had the money etc. etc.).

Dave, both the Cotton & Matchless are quite small…. and so tempting!    8)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.