North Devon coast road

Home Forums Great biking roads North Devon coast road

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    elessimo
    Participant

We delayed our departure until the rain arrived – no change there then…. Took until 2pm to set off: this was our first proper micro-tour with panniers & top box – a sort of trial for our planned 3-week tour of Spain. Let’s hope we get it better sorted by then!

P1090661_zpsqa7hx9vc.jpg

Debs said ‘ No motorways!’ so we started by taking the lovely Monmouth to Chepstow ride via Tintern Abbey.
    P1090120_zpsku5g9avv.jpg

The M48 bridge was closed (high winds) so we detoured over the M4 Severn Bridge (I just don’t listen!) then down to Weston Supermare. Then it was south to Bridgewater the west to Watchet, scene of good Preece memories.

P1090662_zpshfjgjjnu.jpg

Then the good bit: the A39 through the hairpins and hills of Porlock, Lynton, Lynmouth. Sublime. But my pillion was enjoying it much too much to take photos…. The Hartland moors are fantastic: dodging sheep and ponies, with the sea glistening over the cliff edge. After Bude the road opens up and it gets a bit quicker – and eventually it’s up the long driveway to our friend’s manor at Camelford. 230 miles: the 19 year old son of the house is a real ale expert so it was a good night.

P1090675_zpsfdblk8lb.jpg
    The manor house

P1090665_zpsc8ncdmaj.jpg
    Our bedroom

P1090667_zps0cbkrr9m.jpg
    View of the estate

So after a great night’s sleep it was up and off bright and early (11am).

P1090680_zps5eh5s0cw.jpg
    Traditionally, it started spitting with rain, so it was obviously time to set off.

The satnav threw a bit of a wobbly, but after a good slapping it remembered where Crewkerne was. So on to our next mansion for a spot of lunch with an old friend I hadn’t seen for 16 years. Well, we have hectic lives….
    So lunch lasted until 5.30pm – non-stop chat with Ben and Jo, and their son Quin (he’d been 3 months old last time we saw him…). Well, the rain set in really hard so we set off towards Cheddar – well, we were on a tour of the south-west. We skirted Glastonbury (a few addled memories surfaced at this point) then through Wells and up to Cheddar Gorge.

P1090685_zpsmhltcgpx.jpg
    The start of Cheddar Gorge

Debs wouldn’t use the camera, but then regretted it – the gorge was perfect: no traffic, grey, moody and topped off by clouds:
    P1090686_zpskjfoexka.jpg

After the gorge we wended our way through wild countryside and into Bristol, under the Clifton suspension bridge and onto the motorway. By this time the rain was torrential: the Severn Bridge (M48) was a nightmare – strong side winds meant even 40mph crouched down over the tank was unpleasant. But then it was into the Forest – through St Briavels and back to Lydbrook – another 200 miles completed.
    So we enjoyed most of the route and learnt a lot about the bike, the extras and what we need to get right. The next night the bike had a good cleaning – it needed it.    8)

Radar

Great ride and a great read…but where is the TDM???!!! Have you been treating yourself???

ses310

Looks a lovely few days, and that really doesn’t look like a TDM! I actually have the same panniers and used them for the first time last week on our Germany trip, they were superb :)

elessimo
    Participant

Great ride and a great read…but where is the TDM???!!! Have you been treating yourself???

Got myself a Tiger…. ;D

Currently 4 cars & 2 bikes – the place is a bit cluttered…. Anyone want a cheap Jag and well-priced TDM900?          ::)

8)

elessimo
    Participant

Looks a lovely few days, and that really doesn’t look like a TDM! I actually have the same panniers and used them for the first time last week on our Germany trip, they were superb :)

Your Germany trip looked excellent!

Trax? Good panniers – love the inner bags: great for taking into the hotel/B&B/tent. And top opening too….     
    And black.        8)

Radar

Your Germany trip looked excellent!

Trax? Good panniers – love the inner bags: great for taking into the hotel/B&B/tent. And top opening too….     
    And black.        8)

The Germany trip was great and I will be posting up a three part review in a couple of weeks time…some family stuff to sort first and another holiday

Ses used the bags a lot..great idea

ses310

Yes I have the Trax Evo panniers and bought some bags off ebay, which are not the correct ones but worked more than well enough :) Made going in and out of hotels so much easier, also the packing and unpacking was so easy!

elessimo
    Participant

Yes I have the Trax Evo panniers and bought some bags off ebay, which are not the correct ones but worked more than well enough :) Made going in and out of hotels so much easier, also the packing and unpacking was so easy!

My two pannier bags are the correct ones (easy life!), but the top-box bag is too big – looks like another pannier bag: time to get out the scalpel, needle & strong cotton, methinks…..  8)

Radar

Bung an advert for the TDM on here, I will spread the word too. How much do you want for it?

elessimo
    Participant

Bung an advert for the TDM on here, I will spread the word too. How much do you want for it?

Will do – just renovating the pannier frames before the photoshoot…. When sparkling I’ll take a look at the opposition and choose a price….    :'(

999blues
    Participant

Great memories of the roads around Cheddar Gorge. Nice pics.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.