New Tiger

Home Forums Members’ bikes New Tiger

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    elessimo
    Participant

Well, Radar has reminded me of my obligation to introduce my new steed, so here goes.

Having test-ridden a few bikes last year I’d best liked the Triumph Explorer: trusty pillion Debs confirmed that I seemed most at home chucking the big lump around the Forest lanes. Other bikes did impress: namely the CCM GP450 and the new Africa Twin – both very good indeed on the gravel. One day…..

But I wanted a big tourer for European trips that could also cope with our pot-holed local lanes, preferably shaft-driven. Not being one to buy a bike that half my mates owned, I ruled out the ubiquitous GS and started looking for a Tex with non-Triumph panniers and a fitted sat-nav.

No problem: I soon found a nice looking grey one in Madrid. The owner rode it over and MOTed it in Cheltenham, all for a bargain price, then flew back. I’m sure the fact that it was based in Spain put everyone else off, but I did the HPI check and judged that a 2013 model with 16,000 miles on it and service history couldn’t be that bad.

_57-1_zps3zgrkjjd.jpg
    Stripped

It has SW-Motech Trax aluminium panniers (as used by Ses) which are top-loading, matching top-box, Triumph tank-bag, Zumo 350LM satnav and heated bars & seats. Which is nice….

_57_zpsyzdzl9cu.jpg
    Dressed for action

Well, after some commuting, one Bikenight at Lower Lode, and a 450 mile two-up jaunt to Cornwall via the north Devon twisties and the Cheddar Gorge, I’m pretty pleased with the new Tiger.

P1090693_zps0mmric5w.jpg
    Lower Lode bikenight last week

P1090694_zpsozjl6q7u.jpg
    Tres amigos: Mike, John, me

P1090696_zpsj8slvzqn.jpg
    Tex with John’s immaculate 636 behind

Some good things:
    Power – good for overtaking, great torque
    Handling – very neutral when moving;
    No chain to adjust/lube
    Looks – not everyone’s cuppa, but I like the chunky aspect
    Spoked wheels
    Informative trip computer
    Cruise control
    Protection – when it rains I remain dry. Magic!
    It’s a Triumph.

Some things to change:
    Handlebars – Rox Risers on order to get the bars closer and higher
    Exhaust – Debs says she can’t hear the engine properly. Beowulf can on my wish-list
    Fog lights – need to add some for that 100% macho look 

Some things intrinsic to the big beast:
    Quite weighty when man-handling around our driveway
    Clunkier gear change than I remember from the test-ride.

So far, I don’t ride it any quicker than the TDM, but there is a more accurate correlation between the heaviness of my right hand and the fuel consumption: cruising over 90mph does make it a tad thirsty… The 900 Yam was a model of economy, however fast I went.

We’ll see how it fares on our tour to Andalucia later this year….     

Radar

Ha, ha, good to see you following orders! Many happy miles, impressive bike, look forward to seeing it in the flesh…you about next weekend?

ses310

Nice new steed I’m looking forward to seeing it in the flesh too and those panniers really are superb! When not in use I take my frames off

elessimo
    Participant

Ha, ha, good to see you following orders! Many happy miles, impressive bike, look forward to seeing it in the flesh…you about next weekend?

Ha, Postlip Hall Beer Festival next weekend….. not conducive to biking…..    :o

elessimo
    Participant

Nice new steed I’m looking forward to seeing it in the flesh too and those panniers really are superb! When not in use I take my frames off

I keep my frames on – as rear crash bars. Obviously that’s just ‘cos I’m lazy – I’ll have a look at removing them soon….   

Stunter456
    Participant

Nice looking bike and that luggage looks really usable. Can’t believe he rode it over from Spain, did you pay him first?!

HippoDrones
    Participant

bike looks aces mate

elessimo
    Participant

Nice looking bike and that luggage looks really usable. Can’t believe he rode it over from Spain, did you pay him first?!

Nope – I trusted him that the bike was good – he trusted me to pay up the agreed amount. We met up at my works carpark: i had a quick look around the bike then transferred the cash into his account. His mate then took him to the airport to fly back to Madrid.

Job done!   

elessimo
    Participant

bike looks aces mate

Thanks Pete – it rides really well, especially since I lowered it 40mm. The panniers are great crash protection (see my Spanish trip blogs!).

Looking forward to getting on it again soon to test my busted hand….  :-[

HippoDrones
    Participant

nice mate!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.