new biker

Home Forums Members’ bikes new biker

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    nevis
    Participant

Hi All

Well as you may have guessed i am new to the bike scene, done my CBT last september and purchased a Kymco Zing 125 (to date i have only scraped it along the road once) dont expect you guys to know what bike it is [] – Learner legal Cruiser, Well anyway im heading to the bike school on Friday to look at my options for passing my test. i was thinking of buying another bike to work on (like a project bike but not neading to much work as i aint no mechaninc but i feel i should learn more and practical experience is the only way to do it) with a bigger engine for when i pass my test, Then i am hopefully going to offload my 125 onto the good lady . if anyone has any ideas on what bike i should get let me know, i was looking at getting a sports bike of any make or model.

Great site by the way

XV16
    Participant

Hi, welcome to the forum.
    Stick with the cruisers, thats my opinion (most of the time).[]

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Please note that some of the comments and articles posted may not represent my views or the views of FORUM99 and its moderators.

HELP KEEP THIS FORUM ALIVE! PLEASE DONATE.

nevis
    Participant

thanks xv i like my cruier for the comfy ride but i have started to want to get the knee down on the deck now – dont think thats such a good idea on a cruiser

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Hi Nevis and welcome. I know what a Kymco looks like but haven’t a clue about how they ride etc. Maybe you can tell us their pro’s and con’s. They do look great value for the money.

A project bike is always a great place to start learning mechanics. You can usually make your money back if you work on it and sell it on later. Buy a good manual which explains the mechanical side and use forums like this one for technical help if you get stuck.

Happy biking and good luck with the test.

nevis
    Participant

thanks imp

well to be honest as its my first bike i dont really have much to compare it to but i must admit it is a very smooth ride and very nippy around the town figure thats coz its a light bike and im only 9.5 stone , only done a few longish runs on it cause of the weather here in bonny scotland and i have found that if am doing top speed yeah ok dont laugh 65mph for to long when i stop the engine splutters and sometimes cuts out i figure its just starting to overheat?? also a problem someone may know the answer to is one of my mirrors likes to move itself in the ball joint when i go over a bump, gets very annoying having to straighten it all the time and i cant see any way to prevent it from happening but all in all nice bike and high mpg lucky if i put £5 in the tank every fortnight[]

Radar

Try something like a Kawasaki GPZ500 for a summer then progress to a full on sports bike like an R6. It will help you raise your experience gradually.
    Welcome to the forum

XV16
    Participant

Sound advice!

nevis
    Participant

yeah i like the sound of the Kawasaki GPZ500 and nice and easy to get spares for them to i believe, well went to the bike school today [:(] looks like its going to cost between £300 – £500 to get through my test, well it looks like the good lady is just going to have to starve for a while to come up with the money []

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Mirror problem is usually down to the tolerances used in its manufacture. Most bike mirrors use a ball which swivels in a socket. Small ball/large socket means wobbly mirror! If only one does it and the bike is from a dealer, I’d take it back and order a new one. As for the spluttering and conking out when warm, again this should be looked at. You may have a fuel problem when warm.

£300 – £500 is a lot of money for the test but well worth the end result.

nevis
    Participant

Thanks for the advice im, Bike is booked in for its 6month service week after next, so hopefully i can get everything sorted then,

orederd my motorbike theory test book already …. damn its going to be like being back at school but like you say well worth it at the end

GSX Rat
    Participant

I would reccommend the GSX600F as an ideal bike for building up experience. It has a steel frame unlike the other sports 600’s so if you drop it its not the end of the world, its reasonably quick – keep up with them cbr’s and r6’s, cheap spares, suzukis bulletproof motor, cheap to insure, comfy on long rides – it is a sports tourer after all!
    And, as it happens – if your willing to travel to cleethorpes and want to give me £1500 you can take my 95 m plate 600 with a fresh years ticket home with you! email me for pics if interested

GSX750 Ratfighter / GSX600F / Beamish250 / Honda70 Rat

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

nevis
    Participant

Hi GSX

i would love to but i aint passed my test yet passed the theory test and was gonna book my test straight after it but i found out a couple of days before that i am getting made redundant so all plans are on hold till i find another job [V]

Lex
    Participant

Tough break on the job front..hope you get sorted, what do you do?

nevis
    Participant

I am/was a deputy manager for kwiksave and im sure ya heard about all the shop closures about 4 weeks ago!!! well we dont close till the start of sept so i still have a while to find something else and i do have my redundancy money (if i get another job guess what im spending some of that on )

GSX Rat
    Participant

Sorry bout the job, don’t worry something else’ll turn up! Its there in the garage for the rest of this year anyway, not going till i get my 750 on the road and as an added bonus im just about to put a new chain and sprockets on it!

GSX750 Ratfighter / SR125 Rat / GSX600F / Beamish250 / Honda70 Rat

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.