New Bike – not sure what it is yet !

Home Forums Members’ bikes New Bike – not sure what it is yet !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    katana
    Participant

Just bought a new bike off ebay. Seller was a little vague with the discription so not quite sure what it is yet – but it was cheap and he who dies with the most toys wins!

Think it could be another Kat. I’m picking it up saturday so I’ll let you know.

Katana

logospin.gif

Radar

In the words of Rolf Harris:

“Can you guess what it is yet?”

Mate just bought a ZZR400 on e-bay, seems OK so far. What do you reckon to it?

GSX Rat
    Participant

Theres a surprising amount of stuff on there when you get looking. If you just click on automotive and then motorcycles, then narrow the search down by limiting to £200 max you can pick up a load of bargains. Currently bidding on a puch moped (yeah – i no) but its only a fiver with 2 days to go, and with a bit of tidying im sure it’ll go for 75 quid to some 16 yr old!!!!

GSX750 Ratfighter / SR125 Rat / GSX600F / Beamish250 / Honda70 Rat

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

katana
    Participant

Got it home and its a 1985 GSX750ES, minus the fairing. Powder coated frame and wheels (yellow), metalic purple bodywork (80’s or what), 2 new tyres, Harris Works pipe and a reasonable 19,000 miles on the clock. It needs a bit of tidying and a good clean (I’ll might try to resist the call of the blackboard paint – GSX Holligan) but should be ready for the MOT in a couple of weeks.

I’ll probably sell it once it’s road legal and looking smart, so look for the advert appearing on the Forum soon.

Katana

logospin.gif

GSX Rat
    Participant

That’s the bike i’m currently ratting! , dont suppose you got a spare rear caliper, rear brake pedal , pickup cover or gear lever with it did you? Also, i got a 85 frame with v5, clocks, front fairing and metalwork , back end plastics (light indicators etc) plus a few other bits i cant remember right now spare if you need any

katana
    Participant

Sorry m8 I haven’t got any of those spare.

I do need a set of starter motor bushes and the cast ally bit which the rear foot peg attaches to on the right (brake pedal) side – don’t suppose you’ve got either of those lurking in the garage?

I had another look at the bodywork and I reckon that it would look good in satin black (rather then purple) with the yellow frame and wheels. Not quite a rat fighter but close[?]. Depending on how artistic I’m feeling once I get it road legel, I might give it a go – any tips on which paint gives the best finish?

logospin.gif

GSX Rat
    Participant

dunno if this will be any good to you
    https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10534&item=7906312834&rd=1

As far as paint goes, b and q’s blackboard paint gives a lovely matt finish especially when liberally slapped on with a brush, admittedly not to everyones taste but…..

GSX Rat
    Participant

Just seen these today, there exactly the right ones – 3 days to go on them…..

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10534&item=7909922849&rd=1

katana
    Participant

cheers mate – don’t know how I missed them.

Did find these – any good?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10534&item=7910642887&rd=1

logospin.gif

GSX Rat
    Participant

nice one, hadn’t seen them. You may be interested in this as well if you need the plastics. All i need is the tank cap but i have mailed seller to see if he’ll just sell me the tank but no reply as yet. Id be happy to take the tank and for you to have the plastics if required…

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7910231965&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I’ve found that if you search automotive-motorcycles parts and accs – by manufacturer – suzuki theres a load of stuff mislisted , the only trouble being there was 49 pages the other day!

Hows the bike coming along?

katana
    Participant

Thanks for the offer but I’ve decided to put twin headlights on it. Progress has been slower then I’d hoped as my Katana has decided to play up (probably jealous). So far I’ve only stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the carbs on the GSX and resprayed the engine cases.

The Kats problems I think is in the fuel tap (that bloody vacuum type)which decides to shut off the fuel at inopportune moments. I originally thought it was a carb problem so I’ve stripped, cleaned and rebuilt these as well. At least the ones off the GSX were good practice. So the next step is a fuel tap rebuild kit from trusty M&P, in the meantime I’ll nick the one from the GSX.

logospin.gif

GSX Rat
    Participant

Dont bother with the rebuild kit, just strip it and if its owt like mine it’ll just be gummed up with old fuel. Give it a quick clean up with diesel and a spray of wd40 and itll be good as new.

katana
    Participant

I ended up buying a new fuel tap as when I stripped it as well as the usual perished diaphram the rotating plastic bit that turns on the fuel had cracked. Also the reason why the “prime” position didn’t work became apparent has the metal clip that pushes on the diapham was missing!

If you need any Suzuki parts I’d recommend Robinsons Foundry in Canterbury 01227 454366. They always have stuff in stock and even have someone in the parts dept who knows what shes on about. The mail order service is speedy too.

logospin.gif

wheelie
    Participant

Does diesel make a good cleaning fluid GSX?

Do you think it will be on the road soon Kat?

I’ve donated to the forum, have you?

GSX Rat
    Participant

cheers for number katana – you can never have to many when your looking for some spare part! , as for cleaning wheelie – chuck anything rusty in a bucket of diesel for a couple of days , you’ll be amazed at the results! – works much better than paraffin and that cleaning stuff you can buy for use in them electric part washers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.