MV Agusta – Money trouble

Home Forums Italian tackle MV Agusta – Money trouble

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Radar

Well you buy a bike from a traditional Italian brand and you half expect things to get bumpy….It would appear that the cost of developing and marketing all the fabulous new bikes has been a bit much and the firm is now over €25 million in debt. Suppliers are pulling the plug and production has been halted for the time being.

Germany company AMG have been in negotiations with the owners about re-financing the company and taking a controlling interest. The owning family don’t want to give up control.

All in all a bit of worry when I just bought a rather expensive MV….it is gorgeous though…

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/amg-rumored-to-desire-full-control-of-mv-agusta-105236.html

https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=172282

robertcains
    Participant

Been watching with interest for a couple of weeks, not sure if I have a future classic or a lemon right now?!

Radar

Been watching with interest for a couple of weeks, not sure if I have a future classic or a lemon right now?!

Feeling much the same! We have little choice but to sit it out and see what happens I suppose

imperialdata
    Keymaster

They’ll be classics either way. Think ‘Hesketh’  ;)

robertcains
    Participant

They’ll be classics either way. Think ‘Hesketh’  ;)

Yeah true, but I did want to ride it this year, having just ordered an AMG I’m wondering if I’ve jinxed any purchase that has tits or tyres lately lol

Radar

MV AGUSTA APPLIES FOR CHAPTER 11 BANKRUPTCY
    Does the Italian manufacturer need to refresh its lineup to survive?

Today I received a note from MV Agusta confirming that due to its tight financial situation–created by inadequate sales numbers and consequent losses, and lack of fresh money–MV Agusta’s top management had decided to apply for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in order to save what positive assets are left in the company.
    So far, there have been no releases from Mercedes-AMG, a 25 percent owner of MV Agusta. The move is announced as the sole possible option for saving the company, the workers’ jobs, and any possible future credible position in the market.
    MV Agusta has always lived an unusual life, even when it was owned by Count Domenico Agusta, and was winning world titles by the truckloads thanks to the supreme technology of its racing bikes. But the quality of its production bikes at the time was inadequate given the very high prices they fetched. So sales lagged low, but Count Agusta cared mostly for his racing bikes, since losses in the production bike department were filled in by the sales of helicopters.
    Today, the quality of production MV Agusta bikes is controversial: the three cylinder bikes are very good, and have proven competitive in World Supersport racing (Jules Cluzel just won in Thailand on his 675cc MV Agusta F3). But the four-cylinder F4 has struggled in terms of sales, and continues to struggle competing against other open-class rivals both on and off the track.
    Reading comments from readers on my recent report about the MV Agusta situation, I must agree with “Superlight” when he says that MV Agusta must focus on a more appropriate line of products. Focus on the “good” engine (the three-cylinder), and on its tradition in the sport. The Brutale, Rivale, Dragster, and Stradale are all an overlapping interpretation of the naked bike theme, one should be enough.
    MV Agusta could easily dress up the Brutale engine/chassis platform as a mid-sized “Supersport.” The current, Euro 4 legal, 116 horsepower MV Agusta 800 is a torquey, responsive, user friendly engine that delivers good performance. So is the new Brutale chassis, just add a well-designed fairing, clip-ons, an F3 inspired tank, and you’ve got yourself a very attractive MV Agusta Supersport 800. A real MV Agusta.
    Stay tuned here for more on this subject as the story develops.

Source:

https://www.cycleworld.com/2016/03/23/mv-agusta-applies-for-chapter-11-bankruptcy-motorcycle-news/?src=SOC&dom=fb

Radar

More updates on MV, seems that production hasn’t stopped, but slowed and they are putting focus on the high end models, so the 675 Brutale and some versions of the 800cc range will suffer.

More detail here

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/march/mv-agusta-in-crisis/

robertcains
    Participant

Let’s hope every cloud has a silver lining & owners of an 800 like myself will have used prices kept fairly high.

Radar

Let’s hope every cloud has a silver lining & owners of an 800 like myself will have used prices kept fairly high.

There are five reviews of MV bikes on here and the read/FB like numbers seem to confirm the 675 Brutale is not popular. Having said the F4 has only got a few more. The most read and liked is the 800RR Dragster:

The numbers:

1. 800 Dragster 1547 views/50 FB ‘likes’
    2. 800 Turismo 946/29
    3. 1090RR Brutale 916/19
    4. F4 400/13
    5. 675 Brutale 302/13.

Four were posted within a couple of days of each other, except the Turismo which posted some weeks later. That seems to indicatesthe 800s are popular and it could be a mistake to move away from them

imperialdata
    Keymaster

True, but in fairness 67% of statistics are made up.

I’d be interested to see how those numbers change over the next year, especially given what is happening over at MV.

Radar

This apparently is the current MV range, could explain why they are so stretched:

F4
    F4RC
    F4RR
    F3 675
    F3 800
    F3 675 RC
    F3 800 RC
    Brutale 1090
    Brutale 1090 RR
    Brutale 1090 Corsa
    Brutale 675
    Brutale 800
    Brutale 800 RR
    Dragster 800
    Dragster 800 RR
    Dragster 800 RR LH44
    Rivale 800
    Stradale 800
    Turismo Velove 800
    Turismo Veloce 800 Lusso.

Whopping 20 models most of them in up to 3 colour combinations.

Barmy, They could go to something like this

F4RR
    F3 675 RC
    F3 800 RC
    Brutale 1090 RR
    Brutale 675
    Brutale 800 RR
    Dragster 800 RR
    Turismo Velove 800
    Turismo Veloce 800 Lusso.

Nine models…better to manage and way more cost effective

Radar

Statement from my dealer

COMPANY ANNOUNCEMENT
    Over the past month or so other UK dealers have been quiet about issues at the MV factory, this is understandable as they try to protect their livelihoods. However I think it is time to speak out to inform our valued customers of our view and future with the MV brand as a leading UK MV solus dealer.
    GC the major share holder and effective current owner of MV proudly boasts of MV the brand and quite rightly too. His vision of the future is to downsize and produce fewer higher spec, higher priced machines. However he happily accepted millions of euros from AMG with the vision of a wider product range, and a sales target over several years of 20000 sales per year. He has taken the money, spent it and now wants them to disappear and he take the reins of this new and improved business. He has his photo taken puffing Cuban cigars in flashy suits, fast cars and a footballers multi million pound salary . However the workforce are watching Jerrmy Kyle on telly at home and no bikes or parts are being produced for their loyal customers.
    He is an egotistical millionaire who if he did care for the brand would have handed the ownership of MV to AMG or another partner in an ordered planned way. Not wait till funds run out and then moan about AMG and then seek another investor whilst filing for liquidation protection . This current situation has damaged the brand massively and all his calls for restructure are not what was planned or promised to AMG when they bought their shareholding. Or promised to dealers who have invested huge money and time with the MV brand we all love.
    So here is where I stand.
    If AMG are not successful owners of MV in the very near future we will NOT be selling MV products or services.
    I personally apologise to all our customers and service clients for all delays in warranty work and service parts not being delivered from the factory.
    We have not received any parts including basics like filters in over 3 weeks now
    Or had any warranty claims approved.
    I apologise to all but hope you our valued customers have always treated you in an open professional manner.
    To this end we are currently negotiating several other dealership opportunities going forward.
    However nothing will make me happier for the MV brand than for an AMG takeover which will hopefully bring this fantastic 70 year old company into sustainable growth profitability and top quality levels of management and customer service which have been lacking in the past.
    We as always will keep you posted on any news as we have it.
    Thanks to you all. Edward Cosker.

elessimo
    Participant

Sounds bad – lets hope that AMG are able to re-group….
    Good luck to Ed and all the MV owners    :(    8)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.