Most Memorable Ride…

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Most Memorable Ride…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Radar

1982 and all my mates had bikes, I didn’t as I was still firmly in the “cars are best” camp. Then one of my apprentice buddies stuck me on the back of his Yamaha RD250E (the legendary “aircooled”) and then proceeded to completely scare the life out of me as he hammered across Birmingham at what seemed crazy speeds at the time. All this was accompanied by a wailing two stroke soundtrack ~ the best music is always mechanical!
    In a blur the Birmingham streets hurtled past, it would of felt like a video game if we had them then!! It was a riotous assault on my senses as every car, bus and truck were dispatched with utter contempt, every island was taken with sparks pouring from the centre-stand and footrests as they skimmed the tarmac with the bike twisting and squirming as the RD was banked over as far it would go.
    When we got to our destination, the huge bike shop ‘Hailwood and Gould’ to stare in wonder at the Hesketh V1000 on show there, I virtually fell off the back of the bike a quivering wreck. Scared out of my but totally elated at the same time. From that moment I was I hooked…

DSCN6171R_zpszeldbgyy.jpg
    The RD250 looked just like this one

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Know what you mean there Radar. The first pillion ride either scares you off bikes or leaves you wanting more. In my case too it was the start of a lifestyle change because (sounds corny but it’s true) ‘biking really is a way of life’.

I too stared in wonder at the Hesketh, but I ‘wondered’ what they were doing building a bike that was so cumbersome.

Merlin
    Participant

Every ride on my old LC back in 80’s was nutz.

Dobby
    Participant

MOST MEMORABLE RIDE FOR ME?
    THE NIGHT BEFORE MY XS11 WAS SOLD, 140MPH ON THE M4.
    BLOODY THING NEVER WENT ANYWHERE NEAR THAT FAST IN THE 2 YEARS I HAD OWNED IT!

GSX Rat
    Participant

isnt it always the case!

Welcome to the forum…

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Aleister Crowley (1875 – 1947)

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

Gimpl
    Participant

Nearly the same for me Radar only it was on an ‘Elsie’ instead, also remember when my mate pulled a wheelie and it felt like the only thing keeping me on the back was his ears !!!

The smell of two stroke oil – AHHHHH

In more recent time it was the blast down to Nogaro, S. France on my Blade and the whole track to just 18 of us for the whole day !!!
    Anyone want a repeat try http://www.farside-sportsbiking.co.uk
    Absolutely brilliant group led by completely mad bloke called Charles.

Thanks for the direction to this site GSX Hooligan.

GSX Rat
    Participant

No probs…

Er, just 1 thing – where did i direct you from?

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.

Gimpl
    Participant

From the C4 cars forum although I have seen you on the Homes one too.

GSX Rat
    Participant

ah, i get about you know!

Gix
    Participant

Best ride I have ever done has got to have been the ride I did today. On my own but was great. Took the A38 north, onto the A6 into Matlock. Stopped for a coffee and was off again. Up the B6012 to Baslow and then, in my ultimate wisdom[:p] took some lanes heading er in the general direction of North! Heading to Snake Pass with absolutely no idea how to get there! I did find it, went through some village called Bamford and then turnd right up towards “the Snake”. Turned right onto A57, got to where it starts to get ‘residential’, turned round, and did the whole of the A57 Snake Pass to Glossop, turned round and did it again! Back the way I came. Really good ride and blew the cobwebs away. Did some fast riding, some corners alittle too fast and a few scary moments but thoroughly enjoyed it! Wonder what the weathers gonna be next Sunday……………

Rebel with a cause!

The roads are my race track!!

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE POWER TO DESTROY YOU, BUT TRUSTING THEM NOT TO DO IT.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.