MAG PRESS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE ISSUE

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe MAG PRESS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE ISSUE

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    XV16
    Participant

Issued 05/08/04

Banning Young Pillion Riders

A campaign for the introduction of an age limit of 16 years for pillion riders, which would essentially ban children from riding pillion on motorcycles, has been initiated after the recent death of an eight year old pillion rider in East Sussex.

The child’s mother and campaign organisers have visited the Department for Transport to hand in a 3000 signature petition which has the initial support of their local MP.

The Motorcycle Action Group, Director Of Public Affairs, says, “As tragic as the death of any child is for a parent, the issue of whether the government should ban children from riding on motorcycles needs to be weighted against the background of the facts and with cool heads.”

MAG has therefore looked closely at this sensitive issue as well as conducting a members’ survey in order to understand views on young pillion riders. The result has been the publication of MAG’s document,”Young Pillion Riders: Should they be banned?”

The young pillion issue has been raised on a number of occasions in Parliament by MPs, the answers by respective ministers set out clearly the legislation and regulations that covers the physical size and strength of pillion riders and who is responsible for pillion riders’ safety. Enabling the police to apply the law through the Road Traffic Act, Regulations for Construction and Use and the Highway Code.

If we look at the risk factor relating to young pillion riders, in 2003 two pillion passengers under the age of 16 were killed in motorcycle accidents. MAG regards the existing legislation to be adequate.

The death of a child is indescribably sad and MAG offers its deepest sympathy to the parents of the young pillion rider who lost his life, but unreasonably restricting the mobility of families is not justified by the scale of the problem.

Notes:

1 Local newspaper reported that the eight year old (Sean) was a pillion passenger on a 750cc Honda which was in a collision with a car, the rider of the motorcycle was a friend of his father. The child’s parents did not know that he was on the motorbike or that he was wearing an ill-fitting adult’s helmet.

2. The Department of Transport in its response has stated that “It’s a tragic occurrence that Sean was killed, but a, very rare one. We have no plans to change the law”.

3. Young Pillion Riders: Should they be banned? Is available on the MAG website http://www.mag-uk.org

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Please note that some of the comments and articles posted may not represent my views or the views of FORUM99 and its moderators.

HELP KEEP THIS FORUM ALIVE! PLEASE DONATE.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Really not sure where I stand on this one. When I see kids who are brought up with bikes, who ride bikes off-road and some who can even outride the adults, I think that they should be allowed on as pillion passengers on the road. When I see how an accident can hurt an adult and think of a kid sustaining those injuries, it makes me cringe. Jury is out over here I’m afraid.

Ill fitting and unsuitable helmets is an issue that I have not read any press about but is so important. I think that there is quite a lot of need to educate people, in particular those who dish out helmets at events such as karting, quad biking, even rock climbing etc . How often have you been to an event such as this and been given a damaged, loose-fitting or downnright dangerous lid?

PROTECT YER BONCE – YOU’VE ONLY GOT ONE!

GSX Rat
    Participant

The last karting event i attended, a group of us went down on our bikes. After seeing the selection of battered helmets that were on offer we all elected to use our own, despite the risk of damaging them. Imagine our suprize when we were told that we had to use the ones supplied “for insurance purposes!” – mind you after a short argument we turned to leave and the look on the guys face when we all said “see ya then” was priceless, strange he changed his mind just after that – the thought of losing all that cash maybe or did he just see sense…

GSX750 Ratfighter / SR125 Rat / GSX600F / Beamish250 / Honda70 Rat / Honda250 Rat Racer

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

XV16
    Participant

I don’t take any of my kid’s pillion, but if I did they would be well protected that’s for sure, they can make up their own mind what to wear when they become adults. It is a tricky subject I admit, but I do like the right to be able take them if the need came around. Again they are infringing on our civil liberties. I am not going to state Car/Bike statistics due to the nature of the subject.

Remember when a biker got his legs crushed? We only just escaped leg protectors!

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Please note that some of the comments and articles posted may not represent my views or the views of FORUM99 and its moderators.

HELP KEEP THIS FORUM ALIVE! PLEASE DONATE.

Christina
    Participant

I don’t see any problem with taking children as pillion passengers on motorbikes as long as they have proper protective gear on, are old enough to understand and obey instructions to sit still and hold on and are big enough to reach the foot pegs.
    If the law needs to be changed, it is only that the regulations should be tightened as to what constitutes proper protective gear for children. I do think that if the law stated that a correctly fitted helmet had to be worn it would not only protect the children who do ride pillion, but prevent people who have little or no experience form taking children pillion on the spur of the moment.

XV16
    Participant

Well said christina.. It’s all about the right to decide

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

The normally careful and competent actions of a reasonable individual should be considered legal.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.