Mach 4 Festival of Motorcycling, Music and Booze

Home Forums Meetings and events Mach 4 Festival of Motorcycling, Music and Booze

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    elessimo
    Participant

The weather forecast was 90% likelihood of torrential rain but the reality was 5 minutes wet and two hours of sunshine. Took the longer route of Abergavenny, Brecon, Builth Wells, Rhayader, Llanidloes to miss the Hereford traffic. Nice.

Debs had already arrived at our usual spot near the showers at Llanidloes Rugby Club, so it was time to check out the bands. Ty Gwyn were co-sponsoring the event, so a couple of Festival Ferrets were downed and out came the tequila chasers. The Suffragettes did some good covers and Aziz Ibrahim (Stone Roses, Simply Red & Hot Chocolate) did his usual blistering solo set…

01%20Our%20usual%20place_zps9v7c6yrx.jpg
    Our usual place
    02%20Session%20cider_zpst3vclnr2.jpg
    Our session cider
    03%20Aziz%20Ibrahim_zpsyafuhcn2.jpg
    Aziz Ibrahim

Next morning (Friday) was threatening rain, but 120 riders set out for Nick Sanders' first ride-out, south west to Abergwesyn Pass – a lovely route. The first hour-ish was dry but is started spitting at the pit-stop high in the mountains. The Continental van had driven ahead and doled out as much free coffee, tea, croissants and cake as we could consume.
    The next three hours were a lot rainier, so at least some of the country lane muck was washed off…

04%20Free%20coissants%20cake%20%20coffee%20stop_zpsyedjymph.jpg
    Pit-stop
    05%20Pristine....not_zpshwhfc2uf.jpg
    Not so pristine now…
    06%20Abergwesyn%20pass_zpsauzqmtug.jpg
    Abergwesyn Pass

That night it was Tom Hill's 70s JazzFunk Machine headlining: superb live even if jazz isn't your thing. There was a severe storm at 2.30am but luckily we were still up (home-made damson vodka now in the mix) so retracted the awning and let the rain carry on cleaning the Bonnie.

07%20After%20the%20storm_zpst0kjdbik.jpg
    After the deluge
    08%20Room%20with%20a%20view_zpsu9y5l4yq.jpg
    Room with a view

The next day an MCN journalist joined the ride-out, so expect his article in this Wednesday's MCN. However Debs and I waited until the afternoon and did a solo trip into Machynlleth via the gorgeous narrow mountain pass: short but very sweet  :D

Tacla and The Kows were the bands that impressed on Saturday night; we were starting to flag a bit through lack of sleep but saw some of the fire circus entertainment after the final band.
    The route home was enlivened by meeting Radar in Ludlow and yet again only finding 5 minutes of rain and the rest was sunshine. Really getting used to the Bonnie now – it has officially knocked the old 3TA off the perch and is now my favourite bike ever.

Starting%20to%20look%20the%20part_zpshtufo75x.jpg
    Good workhorse
    09%20Im%20off%20round%20the%20world_zpsisargade.jpg
    Ready to ride round the world….

This was our fourth Mach Festival (Machs 2.5, 3, 3.5 & now 4) – we now have new friends met there and a regular fixture in the diary. Kudos to Nick Sanders, his wife Caroline and the whole team – it's a great bash!

HippoDrones
    Participant

Some great photos. Your camper van looks awesome! :)

Radar

Looks like you had a fabulous time. I would have come, but felt I needed a quiet week before the new job, thinking I might have got that wrong!! Mach 2.5 was brilliant, the only one I have made it to so far.

Good to catch up in Ludlow yesterdayand meet the new Triumph in person. I have to say it looks great

elessimo
    Participant

The camper van is indeed great – it's revolutionised our spare time. After 55 years of camping we now don't mind it when it rains – our last few tents have been trashed by Welsh storms, but now we just crack open another drink and pull the awning in when the wind gets up…. ;D

We're off to the Outer Hebrides in it later this year  8)

elessimo
    Participant

Looks like you had a fabulous time. I would have come, but felt I needed a quiet week before the new job, thinking I might have got that wrong!! Mach 2.5 was brilliant, the only one I have made it to so far.

Good to catch up in Ludlow yesterdayand meet the new Triumph in person. I have to say it looks great

You're right Radar, it was another excellent Mach Festival – the mixture of bikes, music, booze, food and people does work whether it's sunny or not  ;D
    Thanks for turning out for our meeting in Ludlow – good sarnies, eh? See you at Prescott on Sunday?  8)

HippoDrones
    Participant

The camper van is indeed great – it's revolutionised our spare time. After 55 years of camping we now don't mind it when it rains – our last few tents have been trashed by Welsh storms, but now we just crack open another drink and pull the awning in when the wind gets up…. ;D

Awesome stuff. I'm hoping to get a van next year, won't be a camper, although I will sleep in it

Radar

Awesome stuff. I'm hoping to get a van next year, won't be a camper, although I will sleep in it

I remember how much you used your various vans, most infamously the flaming Master, dusty Transit and the mini-horsebox with the pink star!

HippoDrones
    Participant

Hahaha, they had some tales to tell did most of my various vans! :D

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.