little damage big headache

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted little damage big headache

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    mal
    Participant

I had to drop my bike a few days ago, I was running out of road and into the back of a car. So there is in my opinion slight faring damage, but I am still being quoted around £350 to put it right. Can anyone help with a not so expensive solution

katana
    Participant

How about chucking the fairing away and Streetfightering it?

logospin.gif

katana
    Participant

Sorry forgot to ask – what bike?

logospin.gif

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Welcme to the forum Mal. Sorry to hear about the crash. How would you feel about taking off the fairing as Katana says until you could get a second hand one or a repair later. Lots of bikes have this done and it makes them no less safe or usable (sometimes more attractive too).

mal
    Participant

Honda vfr 800, used to be a nice red

quote:

Originally posted by katana

Sorry forgot to ask – what bike?

logospin.gif

mal
    Participant

I have to take the farings off so Iguess im going to be giving it a go, Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by imperialdata

Welcme to the forum Mal. Sorry to hear about the crash. How would you feel about taking off the fairing as Katana says until you could get a second hand one or a repair later. Lots of bikes have this done and it makes them no less safe or usable (sometimes more attractive too).

imperialdata
    Keymaster

A lot of streetfighters have the handlebars changed to suit the new look. Not saying you need to but maybe you might consider it if it’s going to be a long time before you can ‘mend’ it.

https://streetfighters-usa.com/store/page712.html have got handlebars for VFR800.

katana
    Participant

could look like this;

If you have a look on ebay you’ll find cheap headlight fairings (make sure they are E marked or you’ll have trouble at MOT time) and renthal bars and risers.

I streetfightered my bike and I think it makes it stand out from the crowd.

suzuki-gsx750-85-bikepics-207353.jpg

If you need any help or advice then I’ll do what I can – or someone else on here will be sure to help.

logospin.gif

GSX Rat
    Participant

loads of things you could do…

use a soldering iron to carefully melt the cracked pieces back together, melting in a little more plastic from a scrap fairing if you need some so that it stands proud. Rub this down flush and then either use touch up paint or a rattle can to match it in with the rest. Use silicone caulk and a piece of steel on the back to give it a bit of extra strength.

Drill a series of holes either side of the crack and lace tyraps, parachute cord, string, copper wire etc thru the hole to hold it together and give an interesting frankenstein effect.

rip the fairings off and sell em on ebay, buy a pattern set and paint it in the colour you always wanted

fighter it – set of bars and risers will ocst you bout 30 quid, cheap set of lights bout 20 – forget the e mark if you know a nice mot man (if you dont – find one, they’re worth their weight in gold!)

if you cant find a friendly one keep the original light in the garage with the baffles, reflectors and indicators for the once a year you need em

there’s lots of plastic welding places about who will do it a lot cheaper than your quotes if you dont fancy it yourself.

or paint it matt black, with or without the fairing – dont matter either way!!!!

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Aleister Crowley (1875 – 1947)

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

katana
    Participant

not sure where you are but the website gives a number to call if your not in Kent

https://www.bikemedic-kent.co.uk/graphical/index.htm

logospin.gif

BikeMedic
    Participant

I have been asked by the forum administrator to post a few comments about Bike Medic. Bike Medic is a national franchise dealing with all aspects of cosmetic repairs to bikes. I personally cover S.E. Kent but we have Medics all over the country, if you call 08080 373737 they should be able to put you in contact with a Medic in your area. If you visit my website it should give you a good idea of the work we can do. I don’t get much time to view the forum but if you need any help or advice please feel free to E-Mail me, I’m a biker not a businessman so happy to help where i can [ Kwak Z1, Yam Tdm 850, Suzi GS 850 Trike ]

GSX Rat
    Participant

well thats pretty much covered all options from rat to professional repair so take your pick!!!

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Aleister Crowley (1875 – 1947)

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.