Kawasaki ZR550 – Do I buy a new exhaust and other adventures

Home Forums Members’ bikes Kawasaki ZR550 – Do I buy a new exhaust and other adventures

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Radar

I have really enjoyed the 2.000 miles or so I have covered on my 550. I have just treated it to new fork seals, rebuilt front calipers and few other jobs. But the exhaust is looking a bit sad close up and I doubt it will pass another MOT

I could do it up, but I can get a new exhaust from Wemot for £318, should I go for it?

I have checked ebay and the exhausts on there look as rusty as mine and are over £100

elessimo
    Participant

Get a new Motad 4-into-1: £250….   

Radar

Where did you see that price? That is a fair bit less than Wemoto

elessimo
    Participant

Just went on that there t’internet and googled ‘ZR550 aftermarket exhaust’….       

Radar

Just went on that there t’internet and googled ‘ZR550 aftermarket exhaust’….       

I just found Wemoto again and the £315 price

Radar

Well I got the exhaust off without snapping any exhaust studs…and this was the result…

RIMG_20160820_170201755_zpsfanqr432.jpg
    Access the studs wasn’t the greatest

RIMG_20160820_175220252_zpsxndebrwq.jpg
    But a little gentle persuasion soon did the trick…

RIMG_20160820_193959837_zpsfr4nh8wp.jpg
    This was one of the smaller holes…

The exhaust is off being welded with a friend of Ses’s and I pick a new set of collets from my local bike shop tomorrow.

They were cheaper than all the on-line tat and I get OE bits…always worth checking before you start clicking I suppose!

Radar

Well the exhaust needed several holes welding up in the end….

RDSC_2934_zpspyoneywz.jpg
    RDSC_2938_zpsoameshc9.jpg
    Harder to weld than virgin steel due the surface rust, the bloke who did it had to open out some of the holes to get to good metal, looks ok though

RDSC_2941_zpsixo61zka.jpg
    RIMG_20160828_143247188_zpsryzebfb8.jpg
    I took advantage of the exhaust been off the bike to give it a decent polish

RDSC_3052_zpspjzxmmvj.jpg
    Access was really fiddly to the nuts that secured the clamps, and I must have dropped the split collets about a thousand times before I got them to hold in place with copious amounts of grease

RDSC_3060M2_zpssykyo4dc.jpg
    Got it back on on in the end, my 10mm rachet spanner and a tyre lever from a Mercedez truck did the trick! The old girl doesn’t look too bad now

Time to book it in for the MOT!

katana
    Participant

Looks good

HippoDrones
    Participant

nice job

Radar

Cheers lads. For some reason I enjoy this bike way more than I ought to

Radar

MOT booked for 24th November, really looking forward to having the old girl on the road again!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Nice job old pal!

Radar

Nice job old pal!

Cheers ID and the old girl passed the MOT this morning

Radar

Well mOT passed and I have been out a couple of times since, but when I parked it up last time I noticed a strong whiff of fuel. Sure enough there is what appears to be a sticky float or something wrong with one of the carbs. So I have popped into a local bike shop I am friendly with for them to remove, clean, re-fit and balance them. Should improve the riding experience a bit.

It did have a slight misfire. I had just fitted new plugs bought at a good price from ebay. I was suspicious…so I bought a fresh set from my local dealer and fitted them last night. The bike ran much better this morning on the way to the shop. Lesson learnt methinks! 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.