I think the time is coming…..

Home Forums Members’ bikes I think the time is coming…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Speed Monster
    Participant

I still surprise myself when i say this, but i think i’m going to be looking at selling the Gixxer soon. It’s a great bike, it goes bloody quickly when you open her up. Love it to bits, but the fact that i can get to lose my licence speeds so very quickly is the problem. I escaped going to court a few years ago by the skin of my teeth. The member of Hampshires’ finest who pulled me on the M27 was a damn fine chap!!!!!!! I won’t mention the speeds involved….

But all of this has started leaning me towards the nakeds, I’ve been out and started test riding.

So far, Kwak Z800, Honda CB1000R and yesterday BMW F800R & the new this year, R1200R.

We all know the kwak and Honda so i won’t rabbit on about those, but the beemers…………

The F800R,
    It’s a great little bike. A parallel twin 800 with 600cc output! But that power is chucked out via a silky smooth box and an enclosed O-ring chain.

I found the engine dull if i’m honest, it sounded like a lawnmower, it sounded worse when it was being worked.
    That all said though, the engine is the only thing that lets the bike down. It looks great, Brembo brakes all round that give good feeling, the suspension and handling are just lush. Both took care of my now rather cuddly 14 1/2st bulk with no problems, the lines are precise and the bike stays on those lines exactly.

Overall, i enjoyed the ride, it was very smooth, comfortable & precise, only let down by the engine. If you’re looking for a nice hack, i’d recommend it. It really isn’t a bad bike.

Now for the best use of BMW’s 1170cc boxer twin…. The R1200R. What can i say?? Where do i begin?? I only had 20 minuets on this one but WHAT A BIKE!!!!!!!

This beast had me giggling like a naughty school boy within 1/4 mile! I pulled out from the dealership and just fed a minute twist on the throttle and it took off like the proverbial startled cat!

I was still in a 30 limit so i short shifted up the box each time just feeding in a small amount of throttle, each time it gave a lovely surge.

That engine, it’s just beautiful. Mountains of torque smoothly delivered all the way up the rev range to the 10krpm limit. The gearbox is silky smooth and very precise, but then it’s connected to a shaft drive so no real surprise there! My mate Stu was on his recently bought GS1200R and he couldn’t keep up with me, it’s the same engine in a heavier bike.

Again, you have Brembo brakes all round giving that same reassuring feel with the slightest of squeeze on the front lever or back pedal.

The handling is sublime, pick a bend, throw her in, hit the apex and feed in the gas, it’s beautiful! Pick your line and she’ll stay on it exactly. I kept going on and on about the bike as a whole when i got home yesterday afternoon. I want one of these bikes!!!!

If you’re looking for a high end naked, then you really do need to take an R1200R out. It’s a thug in an Armani suit!  8) 8)

Radar

Selling the Gixxer????

Consider a FZ1 or FZ1 too, more power than a Z1000!

Radar

I still surprise myself when i say this, but i think i’m going to be looking at selling the Gixxer soon. It’s a great bike, it goes bloody quickly when you open her up. Love it to bits, but the fact that i can get to lose my licence speeds so very quickly is the problem. I escaped going to court a few years ago by the skin of my teeth. The member of Hampshires’ finest who pulled me on the M27 was a damn fine chap!!!!!!! I won’t mention the speeds involved….

But all of this has started leaning me towards the nakeds, I’ve been out and started test riding.

So far, Kwak Z800, Honda CB1000R and yesterday BMW F800R & the new this year, R1200R.

We all know the kwak and Honda so i won’t rabbit on about those, but the beemers…………

The F800R,

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/uk/en/index.html?content=https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/uk/en/bike/urban/2014/f800r/f800r_overview.html

It’s a great little bike. A parallel twin 800 with 600cc output! But that power is chucked out via a silky smooth box and an enclosed O-ring chain.

I found the engine dull if i’m honest, it sounded like a lawnmower, it sounded worse when it was being worked.
    That all said though, the engine is the only thing that lets the bike down. It looks great, Brembo brakes all round that give good feeling, the suspension and handling are just lush. Both took care of my now rather cuddly 14 1/2st bulk with no problems, the lines are precise and the bike stays on those lines exactly.

Overall, i enjoyed the ride, it was very smooth, comfortable & precise, only let down by the engine. If you’re looking for a nice hack, i’d recommend it. It really isn’t a bad bike.

Now for the best use of BMW’s 1170cc boxer twin…. The R1200R.

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/uk/en/index.html?content=https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/uk/en/bike/urban/2014/f800r/f800r_overview.html&notrack=1

What can i say?? Where do i begin?? I only had 20 minuets on this one but WHAT A BIKE!!!!!!!

This beast had me giggling like a naughty school boy within 1/4 mile! I pulled out from the dealership and just fed a minute twist on the throttle and it took off like the proverbial startled cat!

I was still in a 30 limit so i short shifted up the box each time just feeding in a small amount of throttle, each time it gave a lovely surge.

That engine, it’s just beautiful. Mountains of torque smoothly delivered all the way up the rev range to the 10krpm limit. The gearbox is silky smooth and very precise, but then it’s connected to a shaft drive so no real surprise there! My mate Stu was on his recently bought GS1200R and he couldn’t keep up with me, it’s the same engine in a heavier bike.

Again, you have brembo brakes all round giving that same reassuring feel with the slightest of squeeze on the front lever or back pedal.

The handling is sublime, pick a bend, throw her in, hit the apex and feed in the gas, it’s beautiful! Pick your line and she’ll stay on it exactly. I kept going on and on about the bike as a whole when i got home yesterday afternoon. I want one of these bikes!!!!

If you’re looking for a high end naked, then you really do need to take an R1200R out. It’s a thug in an Armani suit!  8) 8)

Interesting review on both bikes. I liked the F800R I rode a couple of years back, fun bike. Not ridden a R1200R but a friend has one and he loves it.

I just can’t warm to the flat twin BMWs, but everybody seems to be raving about them

ses310

Glad you liked the R1200R, not ridden one myself either but have heard good things. Gotta say I seem to get on really really well with my R1200GS. Radar seems to be in the minority with the BMW’s. Another BMW to try, the S1000R, naked version of S1000RR superbike.

Speed Monster
    Participant

The S1000R is being tested next weekend gents! I might even have a go on the Nine T too.

The list is long and distinguished. Also on the list:

MT-09, GSXS when it goes on sale in Mid June, Z1000, FZ1/FZ1S, Monster 821 and anything else that catches my eye in the mean time!

:D

Radar

The S1000R is being tested next weekend gents! I might even have a go on the Nine T too.

The list is long and distinguished. Also on the list:

MT-09, GSXS when it goes on sale in Mid June, Z1000, FZ1/FZ1S, Monster 821 and anything else that catches my eye in the mean time!

:D

Good hunting, please do us a review of each one if you get a chance and stick them in the appropriate sections. We like our bike reviews on here.

Of your selection I have already been lucky enough to own a FZ1S for 4 years, and I have a S2R1000 Monster. Can say both are brilliant and completely different. I enjoyed the MT-09 I test rode too. Not managed to get my hands on a Z1000 yet. I would be interested to see how that compares with my old FZ1

ses310

Just to add another to look at, KTM Superduke 1290R

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Interesting reviews, SM. I think that the R1200R seems to have converted lots of people who never thought they would go to a Beemer.

Speed Monster
    Participant

Cheers all!

8) 8) 8)

Well i just got back 1/2 hour ago. I took the S1000R, RNineT out and for comparison purposes, i took the R1200R out again.

I have never ridden a a bike that was as easy to flick around as the S1000R! Seriously sublime handling, it goes really good too, but then that should come as no surprise given where the engine originates from! Loaded up with toys and nice kit it goes beyond the terms of “well spec’d” bike, heated grips, cruise control, electronic damping control, ABS, quickshifter amongst others. I really enjoyed it, and if the money was no object, i’d definitely buy one……..

BUT

It didn’t give me the warm and fuzzies like the R1200R does. The S1000R has got more power, roughly the same torque, but the delivery from the 1170 boxer is just absolutely silky, it digs in and gives you a good shove when you open the taps.

Both handle like they’re on rails but the character from the R1200R wins it for me. Not bad for a bike i didn’t even know existed until a week ago!

I’ll be doing the maths and possibly slapping the ££££ down in the not to distant future on the R1200R.

The RnineT looks brilliantly awesome, it’s doesn’t ride that way though! There’s slightly too much torque (it’s got the same 1170 boxer as the R1200R GS1200R) for the bikes light weight, it bucks every time you open the gas after and up shift, it can be quite unnerving if you’re not expecting it.

Both Stu and myself were gutted by this, it’s a lovely bike. A smaller engine in that bike would do wonders for it.

Radar

Interesting reviews there Speedy cheers!

I am still not buying a BMW!!

Speed Monster
    Participant

I think you’d really Enjoy the R1200R Radar!

I wouldn’t rule it out, it really is a fantastic bike!!

The KTM is a no go for me SES…… i couldn’t put my feet on the deck when i was sat on it!  :o DOH!!

Radar

I think you’d really Enjoy the R1200R Radar!

I wouldn’t rule it out, it really is a fantastic bike!!

The KTM is a no go for me SES…… i couldn’t put my feet on the deck when i was sat on it!  :o DOH!!

Maybe I would, I preferred the the R1150 to the GS.

I really fancy a KTM RC8 next though

ses310

You need some of Radar’s special shoes then Speedy :p

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.