Honda CBR900RR Fireblade 1995 Review. So THAT what was all the fuss was about!!

Home Forums Jap stuff Honda CBR900RR Fireblade 1995 Review. So THAT what was all the fuss was about!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Radar

I was a bit late to the party…

March 2009 and some seventeen years after the Honda Fireblade burst on to the biking scene I finally got around to riding one. Now let’s see what all the fuss is about…

Honda Fireblade – now a legend! How big are those indicators??

Old, but still so impressive

An old biking friend was good enough to let me a have a enjoyable blast on his very tidy 6,000 mile 1995 example. I must say that I came away from my ride most impressed.

[caption id="attachment_72840" align="aligncenter" width="604"] Karl’s very tidy Fireblade, it could be 1995 again![/caption]

The riding position is somewhat more extreme than I am used to, but nothing I couldn’t cope with for an extended ride (hint, hint) and I immediately felt at home. Being on the familiar (to me) A458 Bridgnorth to Kiddermimster road probably helped here.

Sounding a bit fruiter, no point having a superbike that sounds like a C90!

Performance was extremely strong, it might be 14 years old but this Blade is still a very potent motorcycle and any cars I encountered  were dismissed with almost arrogant ease. To be completely honest it perhaps lacked the addictive rawness of a ZX9R I rode last year. Also it isn’t quite comparable to the very latest machines and lacks the missile like thrust of a Suzuki GSXR1000 for example. But you wouldn’t really expect it to in truth would you? However by any sane measure plenty of speed was easily and readily available. Karl has replaced the somewhat hushed standard pipe with a lusty Viper end can which sounds brilliant as the free revving engine spins towards the red line (sorry Kat…)

Little front wheel no issue

Handling was also stable and reassuring, the 16″ front wheel passing un-noticed. Theoretically it is to quicken steering responses. Some have reported that it can give a bike a twitchy feel over bumps and a tendency to feel like it is ‘dropping’ into slower corners and especially islands. I just thought it felt planted and held a true line through a corner. The Blade is a lovely bike to attack a series of sweeping bends. The frame and cycle parts are well matched to the power available.  In short the Honda is a fantastic bike to cover ground on very quickly.

Brakes need a little work

The only slight blot on the landscape for me were the brakes; they worked well, but there was a disconcertingly long lever action until any real bite was felt. I think a longer ride (hint,hint) would bring acclimatisation and this would become less of a problem. (Update: Braided brake lines were fitted later and improved matters markedly)

Overall a class act that can easily run with the latest bikes in my opinion. You are a lucky man Karl, enjoy her and leave her fairing on!

katana
    Participant

Glad you liked it Radar – might let you have a longer ride next time.

When I went for the MOT the tester mentioned the long(ish) travel on the front brake. He suggested taking out the pads and pushing the pistons fully back in would cure it. I’ll give it a go at the weekend and change the fluid at the same time.

HippoDrones
    Participant

6000miles??? wow thats amazing from a ’95 motorcycle! :)

BigBen
    Participant

haha im liking the constant hints there radar, and i was going to mention about the low milage but i was beaten to it.id be rather interested to hear how that viper exhaust sounds Kat compared to the one i made.
    top stuff

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by Pete247

6000miles??? wow thats amazing from a ’95 motorcycle! :)

It used to bleong to an old mate of mine, also a member on here (Gordy). He had it laid up for several years, hence the low mileage

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by katana

Glad you liked it Radar – might let you have a longer ride next time.

When I went for the MOT the tester mentioned the long(ish) travel on the front brake. He suggested taking out the pads and pushing the pistons fully back in would cure it. I’ll give it a go at the weekend and change the fluid at the same time.

Cracking bike, cheers for the ride.

Let us know how u get on with the work on the brakes

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by benji_zx10r

haha im liking the constant hints there radar, and i was going to mention about the low milage but i was beaten to it.id be rather interested to hear how that viper exhaust sounds Kat compared to the one i made.
    top stuff

The pipe has an assertive note, I will try and record it next time I see Kat

BigBen
    Participant

nice one, cheers, would just be interesting to hear how the 2 exhausts vary. well interesting to me, probably not to anyone else:) haha

Radar

Still have not got around to recording the sound of the pipe yet, it sounds fantastic going through the tunnels in Holland on the recent trip to Assen!

I rode the blade again yesterday and I can report it is much more fun with working brakes!

ses310

It’s a great bike and running much better now than the last time I rode it, cheers for the blast yesterday Kat

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.