Honda CBR600 Starter problems?

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted Honda CBR600 Starter problems?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Robson_69red
    Participant

I have a 1994 Honda CBR600.
    A while back it just cut out and wouldn’t start again. I put a new battery on it and a new solenoid. Started first time but then the problem returned. When trying to re-start there is a clicking noise (not from the starter?) Very frustrating, any idea’s.
    Thanks

Radar

Is the bike standard? What mileage? How quickly did the problem come back, straight away?
    Have you have checked all the connections all the way through?

Welcome to the forum.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Clicking noise is usually when the starter solenoid engages. If nothing follows then you have either a dodgy connection (usually at the battery end), a faulty starter, low battery voltage/current, engine not earthed properly (often the cause) or dirty electrical connections. If your battery is getting low quickly then you could have a regulator fault. If visual checks are OK then you need to test electrically. Any good with a multimeter?

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Oh and welcome to the forum, got carried away with the troubleshooting!

Robson_69red
    Participant

Thanks for advice.
    Iam a bit of a novice at all this. The electrical connections seem ok (can’t see anything obvious) although not sure about earthing the engine? The regulator don’t look in a1 condition so that may be my best bet? Multimeter errrmmm any advice.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

On many bikes for a spark to happen, and indeed for the starter to turn over, you need the plus 12 volts (from the battery positive terminal) to go to the starter and the zero volts (from the battery negative terminal) to go to the metallic casing of the starter, usually via the engine casing. If there is a bad connection between engine and earth then it won’t work UNLESS there is a separate earth wire from the electrical system to the starter. On the CBR600 I don’t know without looking at an electrical diagram. If the regulator looks a bit naff then I would test that. A multimeter will tell you what charge the battery is getting when the engine is running. Try putting it on DC Volts and select the range (if required). Put the probes across the battery and you should get between 13 and 15 Volts. Anything less than 13 and there is cause for suspecting the regulator/rectifier circuitry. The battery should read 12 Volts only when the bike is not running.

Check out

https://www.2wf.com/articles/cycle_doctor/C4BF990B-CCAB-42E7-91EB-8F2E84C0FF63.asp

I’ve seen Honda regulators pass through Ebay a few times, worth a look for a second hand one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have the same problem on my bike a CBR900. Sometimes it will start and then it will not start but with a small noise from the moteur. It has only happened 5 or 6 times but it is more frequent now.

GSX Rat
    Participant

Pull the rubber cover /s off the solenoid, you see the two big red cables – short across them with a screwdriver with the ignition on. If the starter spins and bike starts solenoid is fu#ked, get a new one….

GSX750 Ratfighter / SR125 Rat / GSX600F / Beamish250 / Honda70 Rat

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Need it to not start again before I try that. It is OK for now, seems worse when it is cold.

wilky
    Participant

i have the same problem on my cbr600 95 modal. but with the added problem of the starter switch it goes dead altogether i have had it striped and the connection is fine any iders

GSX Rat
    Participant

sidestand relay 9 times out of ten – pull plug off sidestand switch and insert a piece of wire between two terminals – problem solved.

GSX750 Ratfighter / SR125 Rat / GSX600F / Beamish250 / Honda70 Rat / Honda250 Rat Racer

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.