Hey death artists

Home Forums Members’ bikes Hey death artists

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hey guys,

Biking is a real blunder if things go wrong. I’m only 18 but ever since i was 16, i just had to get a motorcycle. Already i’ve had my fair share of shit shoveled in my face, believe you me. I can respect so many points about the road and i never take the micky when it comes to weather and white van drivers – because we all know how stupidly impatient they are.

Anyway, i would just like to say a quick bit about my lengths; i owned an aprillia habana 49cc and drove it from wiltshire to north cornwall in one day. Yes it took 7 hours exact there and 7 and a half hours exactly to thumble back in the hard rain and looming hills but i got a job because of that. The reason why i say this is because no matter how difficult things get sometimes, how you might loose an indicator at a roundabout in second gear downpour near oxford – your never put off, unless you refer to the last line in this post .

I would just like to say a quick ‘big up’ shall we say to the riders who actually nod at me.

Keep those tires on the road or your skin and bones will most definatly corrode!

Andy

Gix
    Participant

Welcome! I nod to anyone on 2 wheels with an engine, and some without engine lol, careful what you say about white van man…..Imperialdata drives one but as a biker too I guess we can let him off that, not as bad as tin snails eh thumper, radar and toggsy eh? lol [:o)]

Ah i mean no such harm, Thankyou there. Appreciate your reply most definatly. But as for those white van drivers, you know who you are. They arn’t made of bloodgy heaven and love. But much respect to that, no offense!

Gix
    Participant

hahaha we all rip into him anyway, and them caravans are more of a pain, not only does Radar pull one but he has a garage full of yamahahahahas too, sinful I tell ya! [:o)][:o)]

Radar

Welcome to the forum. I nodd at everybody too!

This link will help you look around
    https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/great-posts-pics-across-the-site-part-2/

I have ridden a CB100N 250 miles in day in the pouring rain and been part of a team that rode a 50cc moped from John O’Groats to Lands End non-stop for charity.

I do tow a tin snail too!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

OK – in (semi)defense of White Van Men here we go…..

True there are some trades who need to get to the next job on time and aren’t born with the common sense to make a phone call to say “I’ll be 10 minutes late” to the customer. But that’s the same for many car drivers – sales reps, businessmen and businesswomen. Just about anyone who works for a living and drives about a lot.
    Where the main differences are, seems to be in visibility and keeping the momentum going in a slower, heavier vehicle. Now I know many van drivers get a bit peeved when they approach an island and there is someone stopping them from pulling out while the van is moving. But hey, stopping and changing gear is not the end of the world and it gives us an opportunity to look a bit better for those narrow things with 2 wheels. An appreciation of how ‘invisible’ you can be on a bike can only come from riding one and ultimately being knocked off one. And this has happened to me on both motorcycle and pushbike…..

The visibility in a van is not great so you have to know and remember who is behind and to the side of you. Visibility at junctions is sometimes better because of the height advantage you have over other traffic.

Brakes are most definitely not as good as those of cars when you are trying to stop 2 tons or more.

No offence taken and I really can’t defend some of the driving I have seen by vans, cars or even bikes some time. I still maintain everyone should ride motorbike and pushbike as part of their test before they can be deemed competent. Dammit, let’s throw HGV in there too for good measure!

Soapbox is now free if anyone else fancies a go.

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by imperialdata

OK – in (semi)defense of White Van Men here we go…..

True there are some trades who need to get to the next job on time and aren’t born with the common sense to make a phone call to say “I’ll be 10 minutes late” to the customer. But that’s the same for many car drivers – sales reps, businessmen and businesswomen. Just about anyone who works for a living and drives about a lot.
    Where the main differences are, seems to be in visibility and keeping the momentum going in a slower, heavier vehicle. Now I know many van drivers get a bit peeved when they approach an island and there is someone stopping them from pulling out while the van is moving. But hey, stopping and changing gear is not the end of the world and it gives us an opportunity to look a bit better for those narrow things with 2 wheels. An appreciation of how ‘invisible’ you can be on a bike can only come from riding one and ultimately being knocked off one. And this has happened to me on both motorcycle and pushbike…..

The visibility in a van is not great so you have to know and remember who is behind and to the side of you. Visibility at junctions is sometimes better because of the height advantage you have over other traffic.

Brakes are most definitely not as good as those of cars when you are trying to stop 2 tons or more.

No offence taken and I really can’t defend some of the driving I have seen by vans, cars or even bikes some time. I still maintain everyone should ride motorbike and pushbike as part of their test before they can be deemed competent. Dammit, let’s throw HGV in there too for good measure!

Soapbox is now free if anyone else fancies a go.

well at least you dont have a yamaha….

You have a realistic approach to that imperialdata, where as i just take it for what i see and the other points can be ignored sometimes. Made me laugh though, your all right. I do feel great empathy just aswell as sympathy follows for those white van men as they are deemed hazardous, but mabye one day i too shall step up to the rankings and follow in suit like alot of other people sloth into and buy a spanking white van just to grasp the public roadusers annoyance. All in all, i think that speaking on behalf of so many people out there, especially those who ride like you guys must do, how on earth are we allowed to drive such monsters and get away with what we do. At the end of the day, i respect the points of the road and as far as funny comments are passed back and forth the real factor is – who is going to be eating hospital food through a straw my instructor said time and time again. Lol, again i do enjoy the feedback.

Can anyone tell me the anything shameful they have done? That was a bit of a no no? Or do i have no volunteers?

I’ll go first –
    I had the middle finger raised to an old women who was 2 feet below the steering wheel bless her because she didn’t see me coming. I feel guilty to this day to the reaction i had given back to me. She was too sweet to be annoyed with. Then again, who allows people of that ‘stage’ to drive? With that question i feel guilty again.

quote:

Originally posted by Radar

Welcome to the forum. I nodd at everybody too!

This link will help you look around
    https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/great-posts-pics-across-the-site-part-2/

I have ridden a CB100N 250 miles in day in the pouring rain and been part of a team that rode a 50cc moped from John O’Groats to Lands End non-stop for charity.

I do tow a tin snail too!

Jesus… That was a real ass kicker i bet! Fair play to you and thanks for that link, i’ve had a good lookie .

crazylegs
    Participant

I feel yer pain bro. people just dont care about stopping distance or manueverability(whew, big word!) of a bike (in my case,trike)on the open road. I have been pushed to the shoulder many a time and have ended up sideways in a median to avoid a slam/bang/crash/death a few times when brakes are applied w/ much haste! anyway, we can help people in the 4wheel deathboxes to see better if we handle ourselves in these type situations with patience and smooth scolding when needed. keep it shiny side up,man!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.