Helmet

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Helmet

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    GSX Rat
    Participant

Ok, I dont really know where to put this so lets hope here’s good. I’ve been looking round on ebay for an open faced crash helmet for riding round town in the summer. Obviously i want it to be matt black to match my bikes and the easiest way to achieve this is going to be with a coat of b and q’s finest blackboard paint. Does anyone know which types of helmet are suitable for painting and which aren’t – there seems to be so many different materials used in construction. Also, what are the implications of painting a helmet that you aren’t supposed to?

GSX750 Ratfighter / SR125 Rat / GSX600F / Beamish250 / Honda70 Rat

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

Gix
    Participant

I bought a lovely matt black helmet some time ago but it was expensive. I think it was Roof. It could be worn as an open face or there was a mask that went over the nose and mouth like a fighter pilots helmet. It just clipped on with a tough press stud either side of the face. It looked real cool but it was quite expensive as they were new models when I bought one. They might be cheaper now if they still do them ’cause there an older style or keep looking on Ebay. Might get lucky!
    Good Hunting!!!

The roads are my race track!!

GSX Rat
    Participant

Just reading this they sound expensive! , you gotta bear in mind i just paid sixty quid for my bike, i dont wanna be paying more than a tenner for a lid LOL
    I’ve seen the helmets you are referring too though and they do look good, although if i had the money it’d have to be a simpson outlaw but at 350 dollars its jus a little too much…

imperialdata
    Keymaster

I understand that painting a non-fibreglass lid damages the structure but I’m not sure if this only applies to polycarbonate helmets and whether it’s just acrylic paint. Always used to think that fibreglass lids were OK to paint (but don’t quote me on it when the tarmac is giving you a lobotomy). Need to Google the subject for more info I think.

XV16
    Participant

I wear a Cromwell matt black P-pot, a guy was selling them on e-bay not that long ago… Try putting Cromwell in the search. Do you actually mean matt black or blackboard paint?

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Please note that some of the comments and articles posted may not represent my views or the views of FORUM99 and its moderators.

HELP KEEP THIS FORUM ALIVE! PLEASE DONATE.

GSX Rat
    Participant

matt black is good, the flatter the better. If its not flat enough i was gonna brush some blackboard paint on which was why i wanted to know about painting. So far google has come up with arguments for and against painting, isnt it always the case so i’m still none the wiser!

XV16
    Participant

I do not honestly think painting the helmet will make a difference, lets face it if we are off at 60+ with a pot it wont matter. Freedom of choice is what matters, but then again that’s my opinion. Fred Hill (RIP) should have been knighted.

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Please note that some of the comments and articles posted may not represent my views or the views of FORUM99 and its moderators.

GSX Rat
    Participant

spose your right there – well that’ll make the search easier, any color and out with the brush!

Saw on a custom site yesterday, some guy riding round wearing a ww1 german helmet , the one with the spike out of the top – now that’s cool – i want one [:p]

XV16
    Participant

Any luck yet?

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

GSX Rat
    Participant

was bidding on a second hand one off ebay but when it got to 6 quid plus a fiver postage i stopped! – there’s no need to be that extravagent (sp?)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.