Gpz500s/ex500 won’t spark

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted Gpz500s/ex500 won’t spark

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ericb500
    Participant

Hi all

hope use can help where other forums couldn’t.

gpz500s d model won’t spark.

heres the full story sorry if it drags on

90 model engine 94 d model wireloom change over flywheel because A model engine 2 pickups D engine 1 pickup tried to start (wired battery wrong Live earth DUH) got new wireloom with cdi reg/rec fusebox solenoid (thought i may have damage the cdi with live earth no power getting to coils) get power to coils now but still no spark the cluth and sidestand switch are disconnected. with the killswitch at the on position engine turns over at of doesn’t so think i can rule that out.

have tried putting a bulb tester on the pickup wire thought it would flash didn’t have completely runn out of ideas also complete novice to electrics.

Any suggestion welcome tried to give all the info i could but if you need more just let me know

GSX Rat
    Participant

dont suppose you’ve got a pic of the wiring diagram you can mail/post have you? – is so i’ll have a look and get back to you.

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Aleister Crowley (1875 – 1947)

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

ericb500
    Participant

reply gsxhooligan

I have mailed you a wiring dia

hope it helps thanks for taking the time to look

cheers

eric

GSX Rat
    Participant

i’ll have a look tonight whilst im at work and get back to you tomorrow with some ideas hopefully

that’s passed my nightshift away!

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.

GSX Rat
    Participant

well they dont like making it easy do they! , make sure you have eatrhed the sidestand and clutch lever cables – not just disconnected them.

the junction box as it is called on the top right of the drawing has 4 diodes in it that have probably been damaged when you connected it the wrong way round, might be worth you taking your ic unit and junction box and plugging it into another bike the same if you know anyone who’s got one and seeing if it workd on there. you stated you got a replacement one, was this seen to be working before you got it?
    You need a multimeter with a diode test facility to check current flow and voltages from that unit.

Other option, and probably easier is to junk the lot and buy a generic replacement electronic ignition unit. these are designed for older bikes with points, but you get an ignitor unit, coil and magnetic pickup (basically what you have now) which you can fit and just wire up to ignition live, earth and the coils. If you cant find another bike to try your parts on this will probably be the best bet, as well as easier.

I’ll have another look at the drawing and see if i can figure out how to bin the lot and just wire it straight up…get back to you on that one!

ericb500
    Participant

Power at the coils 12.4 whyen red wire on coils voltmeter red to red black to earth on the bike when ac show 24.3 sould it be ac or dc going in to the coils (still no spark) should this be constant or a pusle?

What setting on the voltmeter would be diode ( no nothing about electric sorry )

jimz1
    Participant

hi eric
    my name is jim and seem live close to you the settings you are asking about on voltmeter 12.4v dc and the ohmega sign like a horse shoe shape or diode shape is a triangle with a bar across the pointed end both are diod checks if this does not help e-mail me and I will see what I can do.
    regards: Jim

ericb500
    Participant

Hi guys thought i would update u all.

Got a spark now

there is a resistor on the ign that ties in with the cdi using a a model ign that why no spark.

Thanks For taking the time guys

Eric

GSX Rat
    Participant

Glad you got it sorted

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.