GPZ nearly on the road

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe GPZ nearly on the road

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    imperialdata
    Keymaster

My ageing GPZ900R hit the tarmac last week as I needed to move it out of the way to do my (yawn) buiding work on the house. Was going to drop it in the van to move it to a mate’s house but I worked a few hours instead to start it and ride it there.

It started well on the night but the next day when I came to move it, it was running a bit lumpy. Think there’s a blocked jet as pulling the choke made it pick up. Has been standing for a while unstarted so needs the carbs off really and a good clean.

The KTM had to be moved too, so had a jolly good thrash on that. Thought I’d have a go at kickstarting it for fun and nearly blew my boot off with the kickback. It’s got some compression on it!

The GPZ will be 21 years old in October so may have a Redex party for it. May even get it on the road for a blast with you guys, I’ve missed the summer fun so far. Keep the rideouts going, I’ll surprise you one day.

Gix
    Participant

get yourself out on the september 30th ride ID, you wont regret it!!!!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Remembering which way round to sit was the biggest hurdle, hopefully will be there on the 30th.

katana
    Participant

I’ve got a ultra sonic bath if you want to chuck you carb bits in it?

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Very nice of you to offer, Karl. If I need it I’ll give you a shout but I think I’ll just try a quick clean for now. I have limited time to get the things off anyway.

Do you rate those ultrasonic cleaners? I used to use an industrial one years ago for electronic stuff and it was really good.

Radar

It would be great to see the GPz ridden in anger again, still a great bike!

Sidevalve
    Participant

Sell it and buy an RD500

HippoDrones
    Participant

had a go on its baby bro today…. mates gpz 500 s, Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha…. “breath” ….. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol:

What a bike… not ridden anything other than new bikes for the last couple of years and wow! it was awesome… wobbly non able to stop or do anything refined awesome… I really did love each and every mile coz it reminded me of all those fun things that got me into biking in the first place! Was brillient (and no this aint a piss take)

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Some of the older bikes do make you enjoy the ride a bit more as it’s more engaging. I think it’s good to have a go on a small bike from time to time to show you how to ride again, they need more revving, more concentration and you really need to set up your line properly as you can’t rely on the handling most of the time.

Radar

I enjoy riding older bikes, my FZ600 is a real hoot

This post in the Jap Stuff section sums it up well

https://bikemeet.net/forums/topic/srx400-less-is-more/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.