Gas conversion

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted Gas conversion

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    GSX Rat
    Participant

Future project in the pipeline – has anyone had any experience of running a bike on lpg or methane, or any other gas for that matter. Advice about conversions, drawings etc welcomed.

The basic premise behind this idea is i will build a digester to feed cow manure into. This will produce methane. this will be compressed, which will then be used to run the bike – probably a twist and go number.

There you have it – a bike powered by bullshit!!!!

Should run a treat for any government minister, hook it up to their mouths and off we go..

Also, anyone with experience of compressing flammable gases – could do with some advice on that too. I intend to use an old fridge compressor but does anyone know whether these are sparkproof, or does it matter coz if i am correct methane is only flammable in the presence or air…

this could all go wrong big style!

GSX750 Ratfighter / SR125 Rat / GSX600F / Beamish250 / Honda70 Rat / Honda250 Rat Racer

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

From what I can remember, there are LEL’s and UEL’s to consider.

From an old textbook:

“All flammable vapours, gases and dusts have a minimum concentration below which propagation of flame does not occur on contact with a source of ignition. This is known as the lower flammable explosive limit (LEL). There is also a maximum concentration of vapour or gas in air above which propagation of flame does not occur. This is known as the upper explosive limit (UEL). A gas is explosive only between its LEL and UEL. For example, methane is explosive only when mixed with air in a concentration between 5% and 15%. Because air is only 21% oxygen, most concentrations are quite low. Consequently, when mixed with air many of these gases rapidly drop below the minimum level. In confined spaces however, this dilution may not occur. This can be due to:

1) the small size of the space involved;

2) the lack of air flow; and

3) the gas concentrating in the bottom of the space (if it is heavier than air) or the top of the space (if it is lighter than air). “

Hope this helps

If you can avoid the leaks, go for it!

GSX Rat
    Participant

Shouldnt be a problem, basically the digester is half full of cow sh#t and half full of water, to brim – eliminating air. An old washing machine pressure switch will sense when pressure is building up in barrel and activate fridge compressor which will compress gas into a bottle. This will cut out when pressure in suction line drops again and so the cycle will continue till bottle is full (or it wont compress to a higher pressure!) This should therefore eliminate any air with it being a closed system and with it being 100% methane (actually there is some co2 and other impurites) hopefully, and from what you’ve said – it shouldnt burn….

Time will tell!

GSX750 Ratfighter / SR125 Rat / GSX600F / Beamish250 / Honda70 Rat / Honda250 Rat Racer

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Hey, don’t quote me when you’re flying through the air with your arse on fire! []

Do you think you could use/adapt the washing machine pressure vessel to detect the pressure?

GSX Rat
    Participant

im not using the washing machine pressure vessel, if they have one (?) There is a small diaphragm pressure switch in them to sense water level, ie a level of water in the drum shuts off supply solenoid. These operate at low pressure so would be ideal to switch compressor on and off as gas builds up.

I fully intend to name you, and i would like others to note that should i be injured or die, my misuse will be sueing ID for bum advice….

Then again she may just buy you a crate of beer – DAMN!

GSX Rat
    Participant

Well the methane tank is bubbling away – at this rate of production im reckoning on a couple of months before theres anywhere near enough for a decent run [:(]

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Aleister Crowley (1875 – 1947)

Sidevalve
    Participant

Will it go like S**t off a shovel?!

Cheap crack…opps

imperialdata
    Keymaster

I can think of a few ways to top up the methane…..could be a redesign of the seat involved.

For now though I’ll keep shtum and just split the insurance with your wife later.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.