Four million pound Donington Park upgrade

Home Forums Bike racing Four million pound Donington Park upgrade

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gix
    Participant

The home of the British Motorcycle Grand Prix will have a £4m facelift over the next year and a half. The Donington Park circuit starts the second phase of its redevelopment to improve the paddock facilities that were originally constructed in the 1970’s.

Last year the Cinzano British Grand Prix attracted a record weekend crowd of nearly 130,000 with 82,000 fans packing the circuit on race day. To help ease the traffic flow in and out of the circuit, which is situated just off the M1 next to the East Midlands Airport, a £40,000 traffic impact study has also been instigated.

Donington has the contract to stage the British Grand Prix until 2009 and last year re-surfaced the track at a cost of £1m. The second phase of redevelopment will start in October next year with the demolition of the existing pit garages and Race Control building.

Plans for the necessary planning permission will be submitted in the next couple of weeks by Clear Channel Entertainments, the lessees of the circuit, for the construction of 38 pit lane garages, a new Race Control building, new media centre, extension of paddock one and resurfacing and drainage improvements in both paddocks.

Work will be completed in time for the British Grand Prix in 2006. Improvements to spectator facilities will also be implemented before the British Grand Prix next year on June 19.

The roads are my race track!!

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE POWER TO DESTROY YOU, BUT TRUSTING THEM NOT TO DO IT.

GO ON! DONATE! YOU KNOW YA WANNA!

GSX Rat
    Participant

traffic impact study LMAO

it dont need an expert or a study to tell anyone that a 6 hour wait to get out after the gp is just wrong.

also, they banned gas bottles last year for anyone camping so you couldnt do any cooking – forcing you to buy the overpriced shite from the onsite vendors. At 80 quid a ticket (camping) i would have expected a lot better, seems they are happy to take the money but none of the responsibility. Also, on camping – you are forced to park up and then carry all your gear to the campsite – other rallies etc allow you to park with your tent with no probs………..

unless things are guarunteed to have improved i wont be going back next year and there a quick googling will reveal many people with the same opinion. Lets hope they get their act together before the gp organisers pull the plug and move the gp somewhere else……..

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Aleister Crowley (1875 – 1947)

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

Gix
    Participant

Should’ve taken a BBQ! See your point though Hooly, not good enough, lets hope they make the right improvements!

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE POWER TO DESTROY YOU, BUT TRUSTING THEM NOT TO DO IT.

GSX Rat
    Participant

yes rather shortsighted of me to take a gas barbeque! – incidentally, the reason they gave for not allowing gas bottles was that it was a possible terrorist threat and they could be used to make bombs – however caravan owners were allowed to keep theirs so they are obviously building bomb proof caravans somewhere, which could explain why they always travel so slowly!!!

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Aleister Crowley (1875 – 1947)

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

Gix
    Participant

Well I think thats a bit over cautious of them, and besides….why one rule for one, and another rule for the other!?! Daft![:p]
    Maybe they should be upgrading the management too![}:)]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.