Flashed

Home Forums Pure Petrolhead Speed cameras Flashed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I was flashed by a camera yesterday. I was doing 40 – 45 in a 40 limit. Is there anything I could do now to protect myself from a fine? There was only me on the road by the camera but I thought the were not triggered that low.

XV16
    Participant

Sorry to hear the bad news. I have posted an article “Fighting an NIP” at the top of this section, you could find it useful.

Most Gatso Scameras would be set to trigger around the 46 mark, this is allowing the 10% + 2 which is recommended by the association of chief police officers. This however is not the law, unfortunately the law says 40mph. Before worrying about it, wait the time limit to see if you receive an NIP. It could have been out of film or up to its capacity if it is a digital Scamera.

It would be very unusual for a Scamera to be set below these limits although it does happen in some areas. Where were you when you got flashed? The exact location would be appreciated.

If you do receive an NIP you will probably see the recorded speed was above 46mph, if this is the case it may be that your speedo is slightly inaccurate or the Scameras calibration was out.

The next step is to contest it. Ask for the photographs and check the accuracy of the marking distances at the Scamera site, this is crucial. These lines are painted by “Joe Bloggs” who does not really care as long as he gets paid. (That could be a survey for anyone with some free time).

If and when you receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution, we will look at it further and see what other alternate options are available. In the mean time, do not worry…

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Please note that some of the comments and articles posted may not represent my views or the views of FORUM99 and its moderators.

HELP KEEP THIS FORUM ALIVE! PLEASE DONATE.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sounds like you guys in the UK have really got it tough with those cameras.

Anonymous
    Inactive

We certainly have. Thanks for your help XV16. I got flashed around junction 21 of the M6 in England but haven’t heard anything since. I’ve been back since and it seems to be 2 cameras with flash units (I think) either side of them, each mounted on a separate gantry. Any idea what these cameras are?

Radar

I went past a mobile unit in my car a couple of months ago and am yet to hear anything.
    Hope you are lucky too. Keep us up to date with your progress

XV16
    Participant

Sharria, have a look at my post titled “New Speed Limit” further down the page. These are Specs cameras, are these the ones you are describing?

Regards XV

XV16
    Participant

Sharria. This is the info listed for the area you were flashed. I cant find any other Scameras for that area.

Nearest Town/village: Lymm / Warrington
    Road Name: M6
    Direction of Camera: Northbound
    Speed Enforcement: 40 mph
    Further Details: Located on overhead gantries between Junctions 20 and 22. This is the bridge section where roadwork’s are currently taking place. SPECS cameras are EASY to spot as they have a YELLOW fabric patch approx. 30 cms square displayed behind each camera mounted on the overhead gantries. N.B. The SPECS cameras are not mounted on any other type of support other than the permanent overhead matrix board gantries on this stretch of the M6. Update: As other gantry-mounted SPECS systems in Cheshire, the fabric patches are faded and getting much harder to see, especially at night. (Update received 29 June 2003).
    Confirmed: 5 times
    Ref. #: NWCH037

If it was this system you have seen, you need not worry if you were on the bike. This system does not use a flash, however they can reflect the sun or other lights and give the appearance of a flash.

We will all keep our fingers crossed…

Regards
    Stuart.

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Please note that some of the comments and articles posted may not represent my views or the views of FORUM99 and its moderators.

HELP KEEP THIS FORUM ALIVE! PLEASE DONATE.

XV16
    Participant

Well Sharria, you should be in the clear now if you have not heard from the “Tax Man”. They have exceeded their 15-day rule (providing you were driving/riding your own vehicle). Please let us know the outcome. Thanx

XV

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.