Engine cuts out

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted Engine cuts out

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    aaron
    Participant

I have a triumph sprint st, it has been sitting unused for about 6 weeks while I did some fairing repair, today I put it all back together and it starts up fine and runs fine until I select any gear, then the engine cuts out even before I let the clutch out. If anyone could help me it’d be very much appreciated.

TT07
    Participant

Sounds to me like somethings not right with the wiring for the sidestand cut-out, has it been re-connected. I take it that the sidestand is up? as it will naturally cut the engine if down. Does it still cut out when selecting a gear with the sidestand down, if it does run then the wiring is connected back to front. I’m no expert, just thinking logically about your problem.

HippoDrones
    Participant

yeah does sound like a sidestand switch issue!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Would agree with the guys above but “even before I let the clutch out” makes me think it might be something else. Either way, it’s likely to be around where you’ve been tinkering so just check all wiring is intact and reconnected as before. Some connectors may have the same plugs on the end so check you have put the correct ones in where there could be any doubt.

It could also be a bit of clutch drag if it has been unused for a while. Remedy this by warming it up thoroughly first before selecting a gear.

Is there a neutral light switch on this model and if so is it on?

aaron
    Participant

I pulled out the connector for the side-stand switch and geve it a clean, connected it back up and it’s fine now.
    Thanks alot to you guys for pointing me in the right direction, I’d have been scratching my head for weeks otherwise [:D]

HippoDrones
    Participant

Cool, glad its sorted mate :)

TT07
    Participant

Glad to help you out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.