Educate the pedestrians…

Home Forums Pure Petrolhead Speed cameras Educate the pedestrians…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    XV16
    Participant

In China there are an estimated 1,000 road kills a day! This in my opinion is due to the lack of discipline on the roads, IT IS NOT SPEED!!! You are lucky to be able to drive at 30 let alone exceed it. This goes to show that education is what is needed. The simple green cross code for example, what happened to the telly adverts? If we were to take out the pedestrian casualties from the figures broadcast over here it would be surprising to see how low the vehicle related death count actually was. This we will never see! We must as a great nation start to push road safety for pedestrians, we can’t keep blaming the motorist or the motorist who exceeds the limit by a few a miles per hour.

Bring back the code, if all the people are educated towards road dangers all statistics would be reduced. Then we could all do what we do best, RIDE!

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Please note that some of the comments and articles posted may not represent my views or the views of FORUM99 and its moderators.

HELP KEEP THIS FORUM ALIVE! PLEASE DONATE.

Gix
    Participant

I agree. Some pedestrians round by me are like headless chickens!! And whats this obsession with crossing the road 20 yards away from a pedestrian crossing? Do they leave their common sense at home? Whats a minute extra for safety’s sake? Does my loaf in, especially when they are crossing with children!

The roads are my race track!!

XV16
    Participant

I’ve seen them… The ones that push the pram on the road while they stay firmly on the kerb.

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Please note that some of the comments and articles posted may not represent my views or the views of FORUM99 and its moderators.

Gix
    Participant

Them are the ones! We have some real muppets round here with absolutely no road sense! They are the ones that need educating!

imperialdata
    Keymaster

How about a new initiative? Cameras pointed at the pavements and instant fines for dangerous walking. All proceeds to go to…..

Gix
    Participant

I am deadly serious ID. If a pedestrian gets killed by another road user, whether it was the pedestrians fault or the driver/rider of the vehicles’ fault, the driver of that vehicle still has to live with that on his/her conscience for the rest of their lives. Instead of putting up more cameras it would make sense to educate children and young adults on the dangers of traffic. I dont know about anywhere else in the UK but kids round here are not being taught about road safety unless they get taught at home. Although I teach my children this (I walk them to school), other parents do not. They open their car doors, let kids out and thats it! I regularly see kids running across the road outside our school and its an accident waiting to happen! If more money was spent on re-education (parents as well), then maybe fewer pedestrians would become casualities of ignorance!

Rebel with a cause!

XV16
    Participant

Must agree with you Gixer, it would also help bring down the statistics and then enable the law to do real police work.

However, walking the kids to school? Strap em on the pillion seat…[:D]

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Gix
    Participant

Strap them to the pillion seat? I had thought a couple of pairs of rollerskates and a length of rope would have been better. ;-)

Rebel with a cause!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pedestrians are getting more and more uneducated on roadside behaviour, especially the kids. I seriously think we should bring back those cheesy green cross code adverts, just so it sticks in their minds.

Donate to the forum. It makes you feel good!

XV16
    Participant

That is exactly what I was getting at Carrie, they might have been a pain in the rear but we all remember it. (Well those from my era).[:p][:p]

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Gix
    Participant

There are some adverts on the telly at the moment, with hedgehogs or something, but they dont seem to stick in the mind as much as the old adverts do. My kids sing the song these hedgehogs sing but they havent a clue what they mean. They are not to the point like the old ads were. When I was a kid, there was a man who used to dress up in a green outfit like on the old ads, and he used to go round the schools teaching youngsters the green cross code. TV ads are a very good idea but backup education too like we had would be even better. That way, if a child is less interested in watching tv and prefers other pastimes, then they will also learn road safety and the green cross code.

Rebel with a cause!

XV16
    Participant

I can remember Watership down, never broke the limit since.[:p][:D] Sorry Gixer

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.