DR350 joins the stable

Home Forums Supermoto and off-road DR350 joins the stable

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    elessimo
    Participant

My first ride after a 25 year layoff from biking was from the Black Country to Lydbrook, Forest of Dean, in January 2014 on my just-bought TDM900: the tail-end of a hurricane struck just as I left Radar’s place in Kiddy where I’d popped in for a cuppa – it took nearly 4 hours to get back to the Forest as I dodged flying branches, swerving lorries, ninja hoardings, uprooted bushes and wind-borne ponds. I was shit-scared for the entire ride.

P1080921_zpskh1dhwpe.jpg

Then last month I rode from St Petrox in Pembrokeshire to Lydbrook in absolutely torrential rain. It felt as if I was driving a Tiger tank: my Knox clothing kept me dry and warm while the Explorer was unwavering, massive and powerful. With only a Kriega tailpack as luggage I filtered through 3 miles of dual carriageway tailback then flew through the rural A-roads, as if on rails through the saturated countryside. My most enjoyable wet ride ever – huge grin-factor!

_57_zpsyzdzl9cu.jpg

Today I collected my new 20-year-old DR350 from Clee Hill, near Ludlow. Covered in cloud, with visibility sometimes down to two metres, rain slashing down and the back-roads broken up and greasy, at least this time I had my recent Bolivian ripio experience to draw upon. The big knobblies, no doubt brilliant on green lanes, squirmed and slithered over white lines, shiny tarmac, rough tarmac and manhole covers; there was no protection from wind and rain, and the slim single felt twitchy and unstable.
    But at Bromyard the rain stopped and the roads started drying. Although still a tad skittish, I became used to the lack of mass, the relatively feeble front brake and the occasional vibes. Soon I was chucking the 130kg Suzi around, revelling in the bark of that torquey single cylinder and the different connection with the road – more vulnerable, but more intense.

IMG_20180916_145014%201_zpsbtll6htw.jpg

IMG_20180916_145435%201_zpspqggg2ly.jpg

It reminded me of my favourite ever bike: the 350cc Triumph 3TA that I really learnt to ride on in the late 1970s. With its’ top speed of about 75mph, poor handling (it would weave violently when cornering), houdini rocker covers and dirty gold paint job it was no match for the new generation of Japanese rockets starting to make an impact. But I loved it: riding on full throttle, glorying in the twin cylinder roar, hanging on as it bucked around country bends, willing it to stop as I grabbed and stamped on the brakes, almost too late yet again.

Triumph%203TA%20sans%20mudguard_zpsy41xzk43.jpg

So although I love the power and handling of the Explorer (and its’ capacity to load up pillion, panniers and top box with no loss of either), it is a big, expensive brute. I’d moved toward power and complexity as I’d climbed up the motorcycle technology ladder: after the 3TA came an A10 Road Rocket, Z650, XJ900 and the TDM900 (amongst others), culminating in the big 1215cc Tiger. But this DR350 is a kind of return to my roots: simple, relatively cheap and great, great fun.

So I’ll never be first to the pub on any ride out, but I bet I’m having as much fun as anyone on their techno-marvels.  8).

IMG_20180916_181348%201_zpsdj4dnrvs.jpg

HippoDrones
    Participant

Awesome stuff, the engine in those is bullet proof as well! :)

elessimo
    Participant

Awesome stuff, the engine in those is bullet proof as well! :)

Hoping so!
    The exhaust started popping a bit when the engine warmed up, so I’ll have to remind myself how to adjust the carb jets to make it run leaner….
    Long time since I used an old-style fuelling system    ;D
    First ride out on it will be Wednesday evening to the Gamekeeper pub at Five Acres – very close so I’ll have to find a long way round    8)

Radar

Looks great, really looking forward to seeing it. Outs me in mind of Toggsy’s Honda that you liked so much.

Are you going back to Adventure Ride in Shropshire with it?

elessimo
    Participant

Looks great, really looking forward to seeing it. Outs me in mind of Toggsy’s Honda that you liked so much.

Would love to go back to Shropshire (it’s where I got the DR) – it’s pretty cheap at Adventure Ride with your own bike.
    First I’ll take it up some trails to see how the gearing is; also got to sort the fuelling – it’s running a tad rich….  8)

Radar

Would love to go back to Shropshire (it’s where I got the DR) – it’s pretty cheap at Adventure Ride with your own bike.
    First I’ll take it up some trails to see how the gearing is; also got to sort the fuelling – it’s running a tad rich….  8)

Let me know if you go, I will happily come along and rent a Gas Gas again

HippoDrones
    Participant

In the (hopefully) near future, I may be getting myself a small cc bike that will kinda “do it all”, be ace if we could do a dirty visit…. with a salad or somit too? :P

Radar

In the (hopefully) near future, I may be getting myself a small cc bike that will kinda “do it all”, be ace if we could do a dirty visit…. with a salad or somit too? :P

I think we have the beginnings of a plan!

HippoDrones
    Participant

I like plans! :-)

Radar

Me too, I will have chat with the troops and see what spring 2019 brings!

elessimo
    Participant

Good call – I’m loving my ‘less is more’ biking  ;D 

Definitely up for another trip to Salop – and the salad & somit sound mandatory  8)

elessimo
    Participant

Well, I’m up for it!  8)

Radar

Well, I’m up for it!  8)

Well looks like we need to have a natter and get this sorted!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.