Crash Helmets

Home Forums BikeMeet Cafe Crash Helmets

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Radar

Old question, but still relevant.. should crash helmets HAVE to be worn.

Should other protective clothing be made compulsory too?

quote:

Is there such a thing as TOO FAST?

Donate – it makes you feel good!

GSX Rat
    Participant

No.

and no

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.
    Aleister Crowley (1875 – 1947)

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

katana
    Participant

agree

and agree

Donut – I mean DONATE!

logospin.gif

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Gotta say, I’m all for freedom of choice. The only time I’d like to see it compulsory is on kids riding pillion, as they need to be protected until they can make their own decisions. What is the legal minimum age for a pillion these days?

GSX Rat
    Participant

might be wrong, but i dont think there is one…..

I slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.

GSX Rat
    Participant

also, round here at least the old bill do give you some leeway with the helmet law. A few times over the years i have been out in the sticks, on a quiet road with the sun out – took of my lid and bungeed it to the pillion seat and rode a few miles lidless, as bikes are supposed to be ridden…
    You get a look or a beep from the occasional passing car who think they know better, and i have been stopped 3 times in 5 years by the law, twice the guys asked what i was doing, do you know there is a helmet law etc. I explained that i was having a quiet sensible ride, in the sun, my bike was taxed, insured etc and they gave me the dont let us catch you again chat and i was on my way, The other time i was stopped by a complete w@nker who, i suppose was having a bad day, or an argument with the wife and he ticketed me. It also annoyed him when he was spouting about my license and more points that i told him it was a non endorsable offence, and i was quite willing to pay the cash to shut him up as he was talking out of his ar$e (by this point he was going to do me anyway so i had nowt to lose) – but he didnt even know the law himself!!!

Wild01
    Participant

Seems to work well in America so can’t see the problem. I myself always wear a helmet as I like my head the way it is. I’ve come off my bike a few times and my full faced helmet has saved me from a lifetime of misery from a smashed up face. Plus how would the world cope if my stunning good looks where ruined!!![:D][:D][:D]

Wilba Wild 01

Gix
    Participant

I’d always wear one any way whether compulsory or not….thought of picking all those dead flies out of my teeth….nice!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

LOVE IS GIVING SOMEONE THE ABILITY TO DESTROY YOU, THEN TRUSTING THEM NOT TO.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, Vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming…….WOO HOO, what a ride!

yam-mad
    Participant

Having split a lid in a crash, i’d have to say alway wear one on the road although i know what you all mean about the wind in your hair etc.

Sleep is no substitute for caffeine [:)]

barmy_carmy
    Participant

Personally I think it should be personal choice, I was around in the days of no helmets, but bikes are a lot faster these days, personally If I had the choice I would wear a helmet, I had lost a lot of biker friends in the past in the days of no helmets! I wish this country was not so biker unfriendly.Mind you saying that, a big hand to Poole Council, In season they shut off Poole Quay to cars, and every Tuesday between 6pm – 10pm is strictly for bikes only. In the height of summer literally thousands of bikes line the whole of Poole quay. You pay £1 to park your bike and all the money is donated to charity!

No1 ride, our FZX750

speedy claire
    Participant

I`d say yes I think helmets should be worn…….. i worked for a while in Accident and Emergency and couldn`t begin to describe the head injuries i`ve seen. It`s not nice seeing someone`s brain hanging out of their head especially when you`re looking at a fellow biker. Re. the pillion age……. there isn`t one officially but apparantly the police tend to go by “can the feet reach the foot pegs”

Don`t ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.