BMW R1200GS (2008). Brief Review

Home Forums European BMW R1200GS (2008). Brief Review

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Radar

Let the Adventure Begin

DSCN1414.jpg
    Small bloke on a HUGE bike

The BMW GS dynasty dates back three decades to the original R80GS. That bike just boasted bigger wheels and knobblies to give it some off-road credibility. Through the years the bike was developed and a series of epic results in the Paris Dakar cemented its’ reputation as THE adventure bike.

The Ewan and Charlie Effect

However without a shadow of a doubt they really took off in a big way in the UK following the airing of the TV series ‘The Long Way Round’ when actor Ewan McGregor and his mate Charlie Boorman used a pair of BMW GS Adventures to battle across the world. Despite having back-up that would dwarf an American carrier battle group the series was the perfect advertisement for the big (BIG) BMW. Sales have continued to climb ever since.

Improving the Breed

The GS has evolved over time and a series of changes have honed the package over the years. Sadly this refinements have nt come for free: The list price has cranked up steadily. The trend in the UK market is moving away from the dominance of sports bikes. This has helped to boost numbers too. Recently a host of other manufactures have launched bikes to take on the adventure, notably Yamaha, Guzzi and soon Triumph will also be joining in.

Reputation Deserved?

Against this back drop it has been interesting to finally ride an example of the breed: My friend Andy swapped his 2010 Bonnie for a 2008 adventure. This model-year lacks some of the latest developments such as the DOHC engine, but is still a very good example of the Adventure series. Despite the comedy potential of somebody as short as me riding the towering BMW I actually found it pretty manageable.

Performance and Handling

As soon as you pull away the impression of size and weight melt away: The GS is generally smooth and inoffensive to ride. The 1200 motor is not as ‘grunty’ as I was expecting, especially for a big twin. However it  still boasts a surprisingly good turn of speed when you crank it on a little. The bike can also be cornered with surprising verve for such a large machine. It is quite good fun to hustle along and the gearbox is excellent for a shaft drive too.

Infuriating

The only thing that spoils the effect is the infuriating indicator switch and cancelling layout. It is idiotic and distracting to the point where I actually all but stopped using them. Interesting to note that BMW are dropping their system and adopting the industry standard method on new models.

Too big for me

The bike boasts many clever gadgets, which are all very nice but of little interest to me, but the luggage system is well thought out and very well made. Overall I can imagine knocking up huge mileages on the Adventure enjoying the view from the commanding riding position, it is a great bike but simply too big for me, despite carrying its’ mass so well.

Andy is loving it so far and I can see why.

I will be interested to try a Triumph Explorer next year! So will he

Thumper
    Participant

Lovin’ the GS, and it really performed well on our jaunt to Normany recently – I could have ridden all day.
    The Truimph Tiger 900 I had previously highlighted how good these types of bikes are, better for mile munching than the FJ1100 I used to own. The Triumph had a less powerful (80 vs.105HP) engine but so much more characterful note and feel. The Tiger was more challenged on the brakes and forks with too much dive when husstling, but I loved it.
    The BMW also is slightly sensible for me – I tried to be a rebble an fitted a ‘straight through’ exhaust – only to find the sound was really quite respectable due to the catalyst!

The Truimph 1200 is eagerly awaited – Wounld the Tiger 800 with a shaft would get a few more sales too?

The GS really grows on you though – it takes a while to understand it – but I’m full of praise now.

PS – Looking at the picture – who is that little fella on the bike?

Radar

I think the Tiger 800 would sell better with a shaft drive, I am hoping to try one in the next few weeks…Ses has been muttering about getting one to replace his Blade

ses310

Good review Radar.
    When I had a go on it I must say I was massively impressed! Goes better than you think, doesn’t feel that fast but watch the speedo and its surprising.
    As Radar said the weight is not noticeable once underway and seems to handle the twisty stuff great!
    I was that taken I am now thinking of the adventure bike route. Now thinking of a Tiger 1050 or KTM 990 SMT.
    Maybe another year on the blade though :)

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by ses310

Good review Radar.
    When I had a go on it I must say I was massively impressed! Goes better than you think, doesn’t feel that fast but watch the speedo and its surprising.
    As Radar said the weight is not noticeable once underway and seems to handle the twisty stuff great!
    I was that taken I am now thinking of the adventure bike route. Now thinking of a Tiger 1050 or KTM 990 SMT.
    Maybe another year on the blade though :)

Blade is a nice bike, so no real problem runnibg it for another 12 months. I do want to test a Tiger 800 myself

Radar

Rode the Big BMW again recently for another 20 or 30 miles or so. Thumper is continuing to revell in the bikes all round ability and comfort, but to be honest I still did not gel with it. The indicator switch allow just drives me mad, and the size of the bike is perhaps just too much for me.

So I will definately have a go on a Triumph 800 Tiger as I definately think that there is something to the adventure bike concept

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.