BMW R1200GS (2004) – Am I Missing Something?

Home Forums European BMW R1200GS (2004) – Am I Missing Something?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Radar

Well Matt has spent too  much time with BMW riding Andy it would appear and he has turned to the dark side and bought himself a BMW R1200GS. I followed him down to a mate’s place a few weeks back and he and the bike do seem to suit each well: He was swift and assured on the chunky GS, generally quicker than when rides his trusty CBF1000.

So I was interested to have a go on his latest stead recently and see how it compares with a 2008 model I rode recently. Initial impressions are that the two are very similar to ride, as you might expect. I was impressed how taut the bike felt for a nine year old, 36,000 mile bike. The suspension felt well damped, the brakes had a good feel at the lever and bite well. The engine was smooth and responsive although, again like the 2008 bike I feel a 1200 twin should have more grunt. The indicator switching remains maddening and I am not sure that familiarity would ease my feelings of hatred towards it!

38586983766_76790079eb.jpg
    In cracking condition and looking virtually as new…impressive for a 9 year old machine. Seen here touring in Northern Spain….the GS is really well suited to this kind of work as you would expect

When compared with the 2008 model it lacks some of the electronic trickery, but for my money the vast majority of that is not needed in any case, so the earlier bike is no poorer for the absence of these trinkets

But yet again I find the GS to be a bit too clompy in feel for me: I know they are massively popular and the more you ride one the more you are supposed to ‘get it’. But the whole thing eludes me, they just strike me as overweight and clumsy. Clearly I am wrong as the sales numbers tell their own story. Everybody I know with one loves their bikes; so it must be me!

Anyway Matt cheers for the ride and I hope you continue to enjoy the old girl as much as you have done so far.

HippoDrones
    Participant

I do like the look of adventure styled bikes, hopefully see it in the flesh somepoint soon :-)

Radar

Yep be good to catch up again Pete

ses310

The bike does suit me pretty well, the full exhaust system has made it a fair bit quicker since you rode it last.
    It is a bike that the more you ride the more you like, well unless your name is Radar! I agree the indicator switches are annoying but you do get used to them but its still a stupid idea!

I have a 2013 GS Adventure at the moment with 200 miles on the clock while mine is in for a service, the Adventure has every possible extra and must say that mine rides just as nice, if anything its faster and handles a bit better too, the 2013 is a bit tighter as you’d expect but I am pleased with how my 2004 stacks up, certainly wouldn’t be changing to the newer model as in my opinion doesn’t really offer anything that mine doesn’t already give me.

HippoDrones
    Participant

how do the indicators work?

ses310

One on the right and one on the left with cancel also on the right

Radar

how do the indicators work?

They flash on and off ;)

Radar

The bike does suit me pretty well, the full exhaust system has made it a fair bit quicker since you rode it last.
    It is a bike that the more you ride the more you like, well unless your name is Radar! I agree the indicator switches are annoying but you do get used to them but its still a stupid idea!

I have a 2013 GS Adventure at the moment with 200 miles on the clock while mine is in for a service, the Adventure has every possible extra and must say that mine rides just as nice, if anything its faster and handles a bit better too, the 2013 is a bit tighter as you’d expect but I am pleased with how my 2004 stacks up, certainly wouldn’t be changing to the newer model as in my opinion doesn’t really offer anything that mine doesn’t already give me.

It would probably cost at least £6-7000 to trade up too, not exactly VFM!

HippoDrones
    Participant

One on the right and one on the left with cancel also on the right

ooo that is weird! :S

They flash on and off ;)

lol, always one! ;-)

ses310

It is weird but you do kinda get used to it, or just not indicate as much :)

HippoDrones
    Participant

well it is a BMW, if the cars are anything to go by indicating is optional anyhows! ;-)

ses310

well it is a BMW, if the cars are anything to go by indicating is optional anyhows! ;-)

Exactly! I wouldn’t want to let the side down :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.