Bikes in bus lanes

Home Forums Bikers’ Rights Bikes in bus lanes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Radar

looks like the government might be finally warming to the idea of motorcycles and the benefits they can bring to combating congestion in major ciiies across the UK.

Councils are being encouraged to allow bikes to use bus lanes. MAG has been particularly strident in pushing for this. Lets hope it comes to fruitition.

Well done MAG

I just hope the Suzkis can out run the buses!![;)][:D]

Helmet
    Participant

Been riding in them for years now Radar[:D][:D][:D]

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by Helmet

Been riding in them for years now Radar[:D][:D][:D]

Watch for the ever present cameras!

Champs
    Participant

I drove my car in a bus lane the other day. Scared the crap out of me when my registration number got flashed up on a board telling me to get out of the lane.

Big brother and all that.

imperialdata
    Keymaster

Reckon that was automatic or a bloke watching the camera?

Radar

quote:

Originally posted by imperialdata

Reckon that was automatic or a bloke watching the camera?

That is an automated system; I think in some areas a Fixed Penalty Notice is issued

hammy

Should be a bike lane next to the bus lane!

Radar

Thats a good call actually Hammy, they have cycle lanes so why not Superbike lanes!!??

Anonymous
    Inactive

motorbike can use a bus line i ask the police and they said yes you can

max
    Participant

yes between 10am & 4pm/7pm-7am(any vehicles) but not all do that

Anonymous
    Inactive

no any time i do it so i know

damo
    Participant

yeah its about time they let us use bus lanes will certainly make for easy/safe filtering.i often stop in the bits near lights reserved for cyclists (naughty me) bikes should be able to use them also :)

Radar

London bus lanes are to be opened to motorcycles and mopeds for an 18 month trial from Jan 5 2009.

BigBen
    Participant

haha just because you do it doesnt make it legal :))

Radar

From the BBC today:

_45345348_lane226.jpg

Motorcyclists are now allowed to use the majority of London’s bus lanes.

From Monday, motorcyclists will able to ride in the restricted lanes for an 18-month trial period.

Transport for London (TfL) said it hoped the measure would cut accidents and traffic in the capital. The change will only apply to TfL bus lanes.

Pedal cyclists, who already use the lanes, have been against the scheme claiming it would not improve safety or reduce congestion.

Vulnerable road users

The scheme is one of London Mayor Boris Johnson’s election pledges.

He said: “I have long been staggered that while motorcyclists can use bus lanes in many other cities and some of our boroughs they were not allowed to use the TfL routes that criss-cross the capital.

“One of the ways we can ease congestion is by encouraging more people to get on their bike, whether pedal or powered, and I believe they should be able to share our bus lanes successfully and safely. ”

In June last year the London Cycling Campaign (LCC) presented the mayor with a 3,000-name petition asking him to reconsider the plans.

In a letter to the mayor, LCC’s chief executive Koy Thomson said: “While we would support measures to make motorcycling safer, such as a 20mph speed limit, there is no clear environmental, safety or congestion reason for allowing motorcycles into bus lanes.”

Jeff Stone, of the British Motorcyclists Federation (BMF), said allowing motorcycles in bus lanes would make it safer “for all vulnerable road users”.

He said many cyclists were also motorbike riders, but some in the cycling community were “scaremongering” believing they had “a devout right to use bus lanes and that nobody else should use them as well”.

Motorcyclists have been advised to make sure they know which lanes are open to them as the trial applies only to TfL bus lanes.

Source: https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7811062.stm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.