Bikernite at The Gardeners Arms, Alderton

Home Forums Meetings and events Bikernite at The Gardeners Arms, Alderton

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    elessimo
    Participant

Although the forecast was for scattered showers I couldn’t resist this meet: The Gardeners Arms was one of the first pubs I drank in, some 30 years ago, when the Gretton area was my stomping ground. And Joanna Lumley used to enjoy the occasional glug there in those days, though I didn’t expect to run into her this time.

P1080798_zpsaid6qo2h.jpg

On the way there it was bright sunshine and raining at the same time, always a bit weird. Maybe because of that I was the 5th bike in – no queues for the bar or BBQ. A pint of Fortyniner and a home made Beef & Marmite burger later, the car park started to fill.

Usual suspects John and Jed were respectively celebrating a wedding anniversary and flying down a 500ft high, 1 mile long zip-wire at 100mph, so I didn’t expect much of a turn-out. But then Mike & Phil rolled up, followed by Ollie, fresh from Hampshire, and then a young woman we’d last seen at Glastonbury Festival about 20 years previously… Party time!

P1080793_zpsht1d5aja.jpg
    Assorted bikes

P1080795_zpspese8xau.jpg
    A regular attendee…

P1080796_zpsnforuapz.jpg
    A very nice A7

P1080803_zpsutrxscvr.jpg
    P1080801_zpsmc61qurc.jpg
    A couple of engined push bikes ridden by enterprising teenagers

P1080804_zpsn4puhsvx.jpg
    Including a second drive chain and cool silencer…..

P1080806_zpshwznae0u.jpg
    Glastonbury survivors Ollie, elessimo & Caroline

The run back home was totally dry but very dark – only 3 more Weds meets and 3 more Thurs ones as I write this. So I’ve decided to take every opportunity to use the rare dry weekends to visit Wales and Shropshire until forced off the roads by ice & snow. After all, I’ve got some new thermal underwear to test, but no snow tyres….

Radar

Looks like another cracking meeting. Yet again my curse hit. I was out on a bike (my 550) but had to head straight home from work and then dash to collect my car from the garage when it was undergoing open heart surgery!

I will make a meet this year!!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.