Another Police Chief speaks out….

Home Forums Pure Petrolhead Speed cameras Another Police Chief speaks out….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    XV16
    Participant

Law ‘being eroded’ by speed cameras

Public hostility to speed cameras has undermined the faith of motorists in the way road laws are enforced, a police chief admitted yesterday.
    Meredydd Hughes, deputy chief constable of South Yorkshire, said many drivers felt the police penalised only the law-abiding citizen who made an occasional mistake.
    He suggested that confidence in road policing could be restored if speed limits were reformed, including the introduction of variable limits with a possible 80mph maximum on some motorways. In return, motorists would have to accept the new limits would be strictly enforced.
    Mr Hughes, speaking at the Police Federation annual conference, said: “I want to arrive at the point where we can use available technology and look at the potential for increasing speed limits in some circumstances.”
    Speed indicators in urban areas could show different limits depending on the road conditions, as used on motorways such as the M25 and M42. There would be “buffer zones” to avoid sudden drops in speed limits, and alternative penalties to fines and penalty points could be considered.
    “As part of that deal the limits would be rigorously enforced,” said Mr Hughes. “I think we have lost the PR battle at this time and we shouldn’t have.”

Yes you have and no you shouldn’t have. (XV)

Best Regards
    Stuart XV16

Please note that some of the comments and articles posted may not represent my views or the views of FORUM99 and its moderators.

HELP KEEP THIS FORUM ALIVE! PLEASE DONATE.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“…..said many drivers felt the police penalised only the law-abiding citizen who made an occasional mistake.”

Exactly what I think

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.