1986 GSX550 silencers or 4 into 1.

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted 1986 GSX550 silencers or 4 into 1.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Radar

I am thinking about buying a GSX550 but the pipes are a bit ripe. Any ideas where I could get some cheap? How much?

Come GSX Hooligan or Katana, any sources?

GSX Rat
    Participant

as far as i would be concerned, if they aint leaking give em a coat of good old blackboard paint (yes its heatproof too!) and the jobs a goodun. Any leaks can be repaired with a good squeeze of silicone rubber compound round the offending area then cut up a lager can to fit over and clamp the whole mess together with a couple of jubilee clips.

And then paint it!

Hope this helps – on a more serious note if you aint bothered what it looks like and the possible slight loss of performance isnt an issue, any old tubing that you can cut up and weld together will do the job…

GSX750 Ratfighter / SR125 Rat / GSX600F / Beamish250 / Honda70 Rat

Blackboard paint – Covers a multitude of sins!

999blues
    Participant

Is silicone rubber that heat resistant?

Red CBX1000 with loud pipes!

GSX Rat
    Participant

yes, i have successfully used it as exhaust gasket, exhaust sealant and once as an emergency head gasket. I am not sure about normal silicone beading – the type you woulsd use round the bath etc, but the clear silicone rubber compound is. I will try to get some details off a tube and post at a later date

GSX Rat
    Participant

seen today whilst browsing… you could probably fit the 600f system straight on by the looks of it, but neither is beyond the realms of possibility with the careful use of a grinder, hacksaw and a welder

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10534&item=7908021997&rd=1

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10534&item=7908284455&rd=1

GSX Rat
    Participant

999 – the stuff i use is pictured below , cant link from rs site as comes up as three seperate url’s for some reason so type rs components into google, go to site then type silicone rubber into search box – its on the second page of results!) . It states a working temperature range of up to 220 degrees but i have used it as exhaust header to barrell gasket and thats got to be hotter than that – but it didnt leak!

It may be worth checking out the heat characteristics of other compounds as this could be a bit pricy if you had to pay for it [:p]

C692542-01.jpg

Radar

Thanks for going to the trouble of looking this stuff up. I have decided not to buy the GSX as I am finding it hard to find time to ride the two bikes I currently have!

GSX Rat
    Participant

No probs, i always have a look round ebay every few days for gsx parts that im missing for the ratfighter! ,jus type suzuki into search and go through all fifty odd pages!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.