Tight spot on chain.

Home Forums Motorcycle help wanted Tight spot on chain.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Digger
    Participant

My chain on the R1 has only done about 4000 mile and I have a tight spot of about 4 inches.Is there away of fixing it?I lube the chain before long jouneys and make sure its always lubed.

GSF K1
    Participant

What do you clean it down with?? I use parrafin (however you spell it), as that soaks in without damaging the o-rings. you may need to soak the tight spot for a while to let some lubricant get in.

sid
    Participant

its a long job but strip the chain out (i know it probably means removing the swinging arm) “borrow” one of your pans out of the kitchen and boil it in oil after cleaning it thoroughly then leave it in the pan while the oil cools and it’ll free it up
    you should clean the chain after a ride more cos that when its full of shit then just give it a quick lube if needed just before you take it out for a run

Digger
    Participant

Cheers lads,will try both solutions and let you know.

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by sid

give it a quick lube if needed just before you take it out for a run

a chain should be lubed after a run when it is warm so it gets right in, if lubed when cold it doesnt penetrate and ends up just flinging off, then a dry chain again. Waste of lube and time doing it when cold.

sid
    Participant

read the post again gix and you’ll see thats what i said and added that IF NEEDED give it a quick lube before the run

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by sid

read the post again gix and you’ll see thats what i said and added that IF NEEDED give it a quick lube before the run

yeah I know, but lubing before a run whether it needs it or not is a waste of time and lube, it will just fling off and you will need to re lube after the run. It will do absolutely no good whatsoever, better to take it for that run, and then lube it.

sid
    Participant

not if the bikes been stood for a while and is showing signs of rust its not

Gix
    Participant

quote:

Originally posted by sid

not if the bikes been stood for a while and is showing signs of rust its not

yeah it is, better soaking chain in oil if thats the case, lube will not do any good, it will just fling if chain is cold.

The Welsh Dragon
    Participant

There are some differing opinions out there on this subject. Many people believe that as ‘O’ ring chains have lubricant sealed in around the internal rollers then the only reason you need to clean and lube the chain is to prevent it being damaged by dirt and to prevent it rusting. Personally I clean my chain with paraffin every 3/400 miles, wipe/dry it off and then oil the inside, between the inner and outer rows of link plates. Any oil applied to the outside will be thrown clear the first time you ride. Whether you oil the chain hot or cold depends on whether you believe the oil is supposed to penetrate the ‘O’ ring or whether it is purely a rust preventative.

Stinkwheel
    Participant

Right can i make a couple of observations on this old thread please………

Firstly if you have done 4000 miles on your chain on a high power sports bike like an R1 and it has that much of a tight spot, replace it. Next time clean lube and adjust it more regularly. Sorry lecture over.

Second point…….Paraffin to clean your chain, fine, but be sure your o-ring or x-ring chain is OK with this, some types of rubber can be badly damaged by parrafin. It breaks it down quite quickly. Having said that im sure the chain manufacturers know this and use an impervious compound for their o-rings.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.